Race gas and e85 tune????

98cobradan

Established Member
All aside from having ALL the supporting mods to run race gas and E85, can an 03-04 have a tune for each? One for the track and street? Are there any problems doing this. This is just a hypothetical question....I have heard guys doing a race gas tune and a pump gas tune for the street, but will e85 work the same way.

MG0h3

Established Member
I dont know why you would have a separate tune for the track or street. For me, its not worth a few extra HP to risk damaging the engine.

As far as two fuels/tunes, yes. Im on E85 now and since that is the last tune I loaded its still saved in my handheld. Come to think of it I should save the 91 tune to the handheld and leave it in my car in case I end up somewhere without E.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not something I've done, but I can't see why not. Just make sure to have a good tune for both and that the correct fuel is in the tank.

Last edited:

TP03

Established Member
As far as two fuels/tunes, yes. Im on E85 now and since that is the last tune I loaded its still saved in my handheld. Come to think of it I should save the 91 tune to the handheld and leave it in my car in case I end up somewhere without E.

I've always been curious what guys do when running two fuels/tunes as far as the transition goes. Do you run the tank low and then fill up with alternate fuel and stay out of boost till the lines are purged?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
not sure if Im following you correctly but I have a 93 octane tune thats my "street" tune and I also have an E85 tune for a "race" tune (its just fine on the street). As mentioned just be sure to get as much of the other fuel out as possible when switching and load the right tune

so far Ive just made the change in my garage. I'll run the tank pretty low, then hook up a hose @ the rail and pump the rest out into a labeled container. I'll put the new fuel in then pump a little more out (w/ E85 you can smell the difference between them) then I'll hook up the lines and fire it back up. I let it run for a few minutes before beating on it at all just to be safe

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You are only limited by the fuel type in your tank...and how many tunes your handheld can hold. Not a good idea to mix fuels.....however, I have not drained my tank when making a switch (from E85 to 93....or 93 to E85). I run the tank down gently driving till I see the fuel light come on (obviously, dont beat on it to do that). Then FILL her up with the new fuel type and drop in the appropriate tune. I have not had any issue doing that....or popped any lean or rich codes or had drastic off based A/F ratios going WOT.

But I do have a "purge" tune on my handheld from 04sleeper...I could use that and drain from the schraeder valve....just never actually gone to the trouble to do that....just running the tank down has worked (albeit you might be slightly off a/f wise for that tank). But I'm not doing this for a racing situation...only a cruiser where I can take it easy for that "switch over" tank. If you are going to actually BEAT on the car right away for a RACE type situation, you might want to drain the tank completely to ensure exact A/F ratios that the tuner was commanding.

GodStang

Established Member
Yes you can. I run a 93 tune and an E85 tune. Run the tank low and switch over. I only do this for emergencies if I can't find E85. In 5 years of E85 I have never switched between tunes except on the dyno. When I get my latest build tuned I will only worry about the E85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I haven't run 93 since going to e85, but I did have it tuned on both initially. We did the 93 tune, then drained the tank and added the e85. Did that tune and never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread