Race Fuel And Plug ?

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out whats going on with my truck. My tune calls for 104 octane race fuel. Well the track here only sells 112 octane. So i been mixing about a quarter tank of 93 in my truck with 5 gallons of 112. Well my exhaust tips are snow white but my plugs are dark brown. I thought they should have been white like the exhaust tips. Am i mixing to much 112 and my tune isn't set up to burn more octane? Would this cause the dark brown plug tips? I had it retuned in january after installing my longtubes and Circle D converter. After the tune i have not been able to come close to my best 12.26 run. I know the weather has alot to do with it, but my 60' went from consistent 1.68's to the best of 1.73. My best pass was before my retune after the header and longtube install, after that it has not come close. Any suggestions on the fuel?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The burnt orange color on the spark plugs and white exhaust tips are normal after using race fuel. Its the additives in the fuel. If your spark plug tips were white you would have a lean problem.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
You think i'm mixing to much 112 octane with the 93 octane resulting in more than 104 octane that my tune is setup for?

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Should i change my plugs more often sunce running that much leaded fuel? I'm running TR6's, and haven't changed them for awhile. I must have about 15,000 on them now or more.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Oh yeah, you're way overdue for a plug change. I usually change them after every couple of track outings with leaded fuel. Some people change them every time.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I got at 75 to a hundred passes on the plugs, thats running race fuel every pass. I can feel the performance falling off. But the truck still runs and idles good, wit the plugs being that old. Guess i'm gonna have to change them.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I'm researching the use of toluene instaed of race fuel. Sounds pretty intresting and cheaper than $9 a gallon 112. Should i start useing toluene instead of 112 after i change my plugs?

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I've researched and came up with this solution. Please anybody correct me if i'm wrong. I mix 5 gallons of 112 octane race fuel with 1/4 tank of 93 which i think should be around 7 gallons. Ok heres the math "7*93 + 5*112 = 99.9 octane rating" correct? If this is correct than i'm not running the required amount of octane for my tune. My tune is set up for 104 octane. If i'm correct i think i may have found why my performance is lacking. Or would 4 points of octane make that much of a difference? I'm gonna figure out the mix with toulene and i'm gonna try that next track outting, wanna get away from the leaded race fuel. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
There isn't anywhere near you that sells race gas? If so, just buy some from them and take it with you to the track. Or you can just buy a drum of fuel and take some with you to the track.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
The lowest octane that the track here sells is 112. There is a track that sells 104 octane that is a 4 hour round trip. And they only sell it by the gallon not the drum at $7.50 a gallon, thats $412 for a drum of 104. That is a lil to high if you ask me. Thats why i'm learning more about toulene, seems better and is readily available around here.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I know guys that ran toluene, and even had the formula figured out to obtain whatever octane rating they wanted. I'd never use it though.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The lowest octane that the track here sells is 112. There is a track that sells 104 octane that is a 4 hour round trip. And they only sell it by the gallon not the drum at $7.50 a gallon, thats $412 for a drum of 104. That is a lil to high if you ask me. Thats why i'm learning more about toulene, seems better and is readily available around here.

John do a google search for Sunoco race fuels. you might find a station near you, some sell it in 5 gal cans and at the pump. We have a Sunoco station that sells 110 leaded at the pump for $7.50 a gal

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I searched and came up with nothing. I really can't remember seeing one of those stations. Oh well i'm gonna put some new tr6's and try the toluene route. Just trying to make sure i get the ratio right. I wanna get away from the leaded fuel and try that. I've read nothing but good things about toluene. Oh well i guess i'll see. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread