Race Fuel And Octane ?

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
First off i've been searching, reading , and researching all about race fuels for a week now. But i have a problem that i can't seem to find the answer for. Ok my race tune is set up for 104 octane. The only place i found 104 is a track with a 4 hour round trip there and back. And somtimes they are sold out. The track here sells 112 octane, C12, 114 octane, and i think 116 octane. All are leaded fuels to my knowledge. Toluene and Xylene are outrageous, the cheapest i found either was $16 a gallon, so trying to mix a batch of 5 gallon race fuel would cost over $85 a pop. That is way to high. I tried AV gas, but my truck won't run at all with it. Is there some way to use some 112 with some type of additive to help it out. I've been running 112 for awhile and my performance has fell off quite a bit. But i have over 100 passes and 15,000 on my TR6's, they are shot. I"ve read that the leaded fuel is bad for our motors. Anybody got any ideas on how i should go from here?

boosted635

Established Member
You can mix it to obtain the desired octane... just one idea.
For example 5 gals of 93 = 465 (5x93) and 5 gals of 112 = 560 (5x112)
560 + 465 = 1025 div by 10 gals (5 race and 5 street) = 102.5 octane.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Leaded gas isn't bad for the engine, it's bad on plugs and o2 sensors. Change your plugs, mix in some leaded gas, and give it hell. Change your plugs often if you continue to run leaded gas. No big deal.

slick4_6

Established Member
I have a friend that works at the local airport that I drive by every day that says he can get me 101 octane unleaded for $4.25 a gallon. He says he runs it in his carbed fox at the track. Could I run it with an aggressive track only tune? I would buy it to mix with pump 93 if I could run a few more degrees of timing and pick up a few ponies.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
You also might wanna change the fuel filter out as well. Race fuel is not good on it either.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Just have your tuner bump up the spark a couple degrees and run the higher octane stuff. You may get some better times out of it.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I'm changing my plugs today, i removed 2 and they are well wore. I think i know whee i ben messing up on me running the 112. I would get to the track with a 1/4 tank of 93, then mix 5 gallons of 112. I think they ratio wasn't right, in order to get 104, more like 99 to 100. Gonna try to get there right before the low fuel light comes on, then mix 5 gallons in it. Would it hurt to add a gallon of xylene then? I never ran it in my truck and i've read it cleans out the system, plus a lil octane to. Thanks

MikeW

Established Member
I received a drum of 108TORCO unleaded yesterday. I plan to mix it with 93 pump to get to 100 octane.

I have one car that has an off road pipe on it and I have been mixing leaded 112 with 93 to get 104.

One thing you need to know when getting into race fuel is the stoichiometric value of the fuel. The tunes are built on 14.64 stoichiometric ratio and if the race fuel does not share that same value then your tune will be off.

More on it here http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=212870&page=1

and http://modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71048&highlight=stoichiometric

The torco Concentrate is also a good wy of getting the octane that you need without all the headaches.

Good luck :beer:

MikeW

Established Member
I used the torco can for a couple of years without any issues...

It will put orange stuff on your plugs and 02's but seems not to effect their performance.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Still trying to find out if I can use Torco to get 93 octane gas up to 110 or higher.
I wrote the company, so if/when they reply I will post up what they said.

Users who are viewing this thread