R134 Conversion

Lee

Established Member
Has anyone completed an R134 conversion from R12 on their 93 air conditioning? My AC has been doing great until this year and it needs some R12. With R12 being so expensive I'm considering a conversion to R134.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I discussed this with the guy who recharged my car's a/c a couple of years ago. He said that it would work, but since the system was not made for R134, it would not blow anywhere near as cold as it would with the old R12. I had mine recharged with R12 and it was like $50 to $75 (I can't remember the exact amount)

ObieFox

Established Member
I converted my '84 Tbird TC to R134 last year and it blows extremely cold! My buddy who works for Ford did the conversion with a $35 dollar kit. The AC works great and I can now recharge it for a couple of bucks. My old OEM compressor has a small leak so R12 was just way to much money to keep recharging.....

KO

Lee

Established Member
If I do this myself, what kit should I use? What "gotchas" should I look out for? How much R134 is required? Any info would be helpful.

ObieFox

Established Member
My buddy did the job, so I do not know any tips. You will need 2-3 large 134 cans to refill. I think all he did was empty the R12, change the fittings and install the R134. He told me it was pretty simple...

KO

kcp203

Established Member
Originally posted by ObieFox
My buddy did the job, so I do not know any tips. You will need 2-3 large 134 cans to refill. I think all he did was empty the R12, change the fittings and install the R134. He told me it was pretty simple...

KO

The mineral oil in the compressor should also be replaced to do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread