R wheels

JeffsLightning

Established Member
How can you tell the difference between this 2 FRPP 95 Ford Cobra R wheels?
M-1007-C58 vs M-1007-R50C

Are they the same?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I haven't looked at the pics in the catalog but from memory the -58 is the correct rim for the 95R with the script on each side of the valve stem.

The -50 was a knock-off Ford went with for a while to stay competitive with the fake rims that were being sold for $150 each when the -58 rims was close to $200 each. This rims also does NOT have the script on each side of the valve stem.

Today the -58 rim is only $10 more than the -50.

I thought the "C" part stood for the chrome version.

Tom

JeffsLightning

Established Member
I haven't looked at the pics in the catalog but from memory the -58 is the correct rim for the 95R with the script on each side of the valve stem.

The -50 was a knock-off Ford went with for a while to stay competitive with the fake rims that were being sold for $150 each when the -58 rims was close to $200 each. This rims also does NOT have the script on each side of the valve stem.

Today the -58 rim is only $10 more than the -50.

I thought the "C" part stood for the chrome version.

Tom

Tom, mine have the script on each side of the valve stem plus has the build date of 11/99 stamped on the back of one of the spokes. Were these wheels also made in Japan? thx

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Tom, mine have the script on each side of the valve stem plus has the build date of 11/99 stamped on the back of one of the spokes. Were these wheels also made in Japan? thx

Measure the width, at the bead. They (R50)should be ONLY 8" wide. I bought some for a friends 6cyl. car. In the FFRP catalog it should say 8" wide. The R58 wheel is 9". The C58, is a chrome version of the R58.

Last edited:

JeffsLightning

Established Member
Measure the width, at the bead. They (R50)should be ONLY 8" wide. I bought some for a friends 6cyl. car. In the FFRP catalog it should say 8" wide. The R58 wheel is 9". The C58, is a chrome version of the R58.

I have the R58 as they are 9" wide.. Just wanted to know as I have a set on e-bay for sale...Thanks for the help..

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It's seems odd now that FRPP is selling 2 wheels with 2 different part numbers that are about identical..

I do not see the painted silver R50 version of the 95R wheel listed on the FRPP site anymore, but here are the two chrome wheel comparisions from the Ford racing book that are still available.

If you notice, the R58 clears the big brakes, the R50 does not. This was also the case with the silver versions.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=32

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5034

R

Last edited:

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member

Robert,

I did see what the catalog says. Maybe I'm wrong:shrug:, but I'm pretty sure I got a set of R50s for a friend of mine, for his daughters Mustang, and they were 8", and less $$$$, at the time. My friend didn't want to put very wide tires on a 6cyl. Must.

I'll do some checking.

GB

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

You have R rims from Ford. They were made in Japan. The build date just means they are from the same mold as the original R but much later in time.

Tom

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
It's seems odd now that FRPP is selling 2 wheels with 2 different part numbers that are about identical..

Well, I did some checking. I was wrong about the 8" wheel. The difference is in the hub. There is less meat around the hub area(R50). A weaker wheel, for show and a little go. These wheels (R50)are not recomended for racing. They were less $$$$$ than the R58s when they came out, now they're not listed.

Just wanted to clear this up, since I gave some incorrect info in the beginning. Sorry for my blunder.

We'll do a minus $.02 this time.

GB

JeffsLightning

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys as mine are the real deal..These things are pristine and I can't give them away:shrug: I remember back in the day just the real R centercaps were going for 50-100 a piece...Go figure..

Users who are viewing this thread