R race photos

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Tim,

I never knew that your 00R ran in a World Challenge Race! Did you run any others?

Car does look great!

SDW Racing

Established Member
Oh man...I've loved that car ever since they did a write up on it in 5,0 Mustang magazine.

Beautiful. :lol: :lol: :banana: :banana: :pepper: :pepper:

TimB

Established Member
Thanks guys
Mark ,yes I did run one GT race at Laguna Seca in 02 .Not a great weekend ,had some brake problems all weekend and ended up 20th or 21 on the grid.Had a basically stock motor but was surprised at the amount of power the cars were making.Also in 02 the tire was a Toyo T1S ,a non R compound tire that I had trouble getting to work on my car and to add to my problems I was 250lbs overweight.At the standing start I made up 6 places only to lose most of them in turn 2 when Derek Bell was punted off by someone.My race ended in turn 9 when I tried to outbrake 3 cars and ended up hitting a Porsche in the left rear wheel knocking my toe way out to the point that the car would not turn in. If the car had worked properly in qualifying the best I could have been was 16th which was still 4 seconds or more from the front.Hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining too much as despite the problems we had a good time and everyone in the series was very helpful .

Tim

TimB

Established Member
predator said:
Very nice car! What tires and sizes are you running now?
I am running Pirelli P-zero race slicks 285\645\18 front and 305\660\18 rear in the D4 compound.

Tim

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Thanks for posting, this is my favorite, what a cool track! :bowdown:
send%20Down%20Corkscrew%20T%20Brown%20Cobra%20R%20Laguna%20Seca.jpg

SDW Racing

Established Member
Tim,

I absolutely love your car and someday (soon!) hope to have a 2000R in race trim, not quite as developed as your though.

Can you give a complete rundown on the car as it sits today?

I just resurrected my June 2003 copy of 5.0 Mustang and reread the article. At the time it still sounded like a lot of changed were still in the works.

What type of wheels are those?

I also love the differential & trans cooler setup with the plexi window and scoop. More details on the type of modifications you made would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JM

TimB

Established Member
JM

Since the article mods are: torsen T2R,new custom rear control arms ,aluminum rear subframe bushings,custom valved and shortened Koni double adjustable frt struts,replaced all the control arm bushings with sperical bearings,aluminum frt and rear bumpers,custom 1 3/4 long tube headers,ported heads,higher compression JE pistons,custom tune with diablo revolution software,new 3 inch x-pipe,and am currently upgrading to a stoptech 14 '' frt brake setup.The wheels are from Complete Custom Wheels in florida (1-888-577-0144) and are 18 x 10 and 18x11 .Future upgrades ,aluminum GT block (arrived yesterday) and some different ratios for the T56 from G-force

Tim

SDW Racing

Established Member
Tim,

Thanks...please keep this crew up to speed on some of the harder to get parts, like headers.

What about this block, is it an aluminum replacement for the 5.4??? Will all other components fit, heads, etc? Very curious.

BTW - After I saw your pics, I literally crawled up in my attic into the nether regions to find my copy of the Mustang mag and your article.

Were there any more write ups on the car in other publications?

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I'll be interested to hear how the GT block change over goes. Seems like there are quite a few hurdles to jump through to get those blocks to work.

Do you have a drysump? How are you going to handle the starter issue?

TimB

Established Member
The car has not been in any other magazines and the block is from the ford GT so I know there are some issues in using the block in our cars.I am going to use a dry sump oil system and it looks like the motor mounts will fit but I think I will call Al (boss330) for some advice on the starter issue as he seems to be fairly far along with his aluminum engine project. I plan on running my iron block engine this year and building the other motor as time permits

Tim

cobraR #217

Established Member
tbrown14 said:
The car has not been in any other magazines and the block is from the ford GT so I know there are some issues in using the block in our cars.I am going to use a dry sump oil system and it looks like the motor mounts will fit but I think I will call Al (boss330) for some advice on the starter issue as he seems to be fairly far along with his aluminum engine project. I plan on running my iron block engine this year and building the other motor as time permits

Tim
Tim
Go Sally Go
Rick

inVision

Established Member
Tim,
How much weight did you save with the bumpers?
I'm sure everyone in the mustang world will want to know how it goes with the GT engine project.

And thanks for the number for the wheels, I may have to get a few :)

MachOne351, awesome job on the graphics for your sig.

Users who are viewing this thread