R.I.P "Auntie" Rose

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,174248,00.html

Thousands Expected to Honor Parks in Detroit

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

DETROIT — Thousands of people prepared to honor Rosa Parks (search) at her funeral, after at least 60,000 paid tribute to the civil rights pioneer in her native state of Alabama, the nation's capital and her adopted city of Detroit.

The funeral service was to begin 11 a.m. Wednesday at Greater Grace Temple after her casket was moved from the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History (search), where viewing was scheduled through the night. Tens of thousands had come to pay their respects in Detroit by Tuesday evening.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson (edit: a bumb) was among them, calling Parks "the mother of a new America." Jackson was to deliver Parks' eulogy.

Among those planning to attend the service were former President Clinton, his wife, U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (search), Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm (search), members of the Congressional Black Caucus (search), civil rights leaders and other dignitaries. Aretha Franklin (search) was to sing.

The church holds 4,000 people, even more than the Washington church where President Bush and wife Laura attended Parks' memorial service. Some 2,000 of Greater Grace Temple's seats were reserved for the public, and some lined up before dawn.

Parks was 92 when she died Oct. 24 in Detroit. Nearly 50 years earlier, she was a 42-year-old tailor's assistant at a department store in Montgomery, Ala., when she was arrested and fined $10 plus $4 in court costs for refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a Montgomery city bus. Her action on Dec. 1, 1955, triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus system led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. (search)

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in December 1956 that segregated seats on city buses were unconstitutional, giving momentum to the battle against laws that separated the races in public accommodations and businesses throughout the South.

But Parks and her husband Raymond were exposed to harassment and death threats in Montgomery, where they also lost their jobs. They moved to Detroit with Rosa Parks' mother, Leona McCauley, in 1957.

Parks held a series of low-paying jobs before U.S. Rep. John Conyers (search) hired her in 1965 to work in his Detroit office. She remained there until 1987.

Parks was initially going to be buried a family plot in Detroit's Woodlawn Cemetery, next to her husband and mother. But Swanson Funeral Home officials confirmed Tuesday that Parks would be entombed in a mausoleum at the cemetery and the bodies of her husband and mother also would be moved there.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Sad to see her go. I appreciate everything she did.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Smokinbago said:
Well, for my aunt that is named Rosa, we call her Rose. Thanks for you input.

And then???

WTF does that mean? Because you call your Aunt, Rose when her real name is Rosa, you get to change Rosa Parks name? :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Established Member

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Smokinbago said:
Well, for my aunt that is named Rosa, we call her Rose. Thanks for you input.
I thought that's what this post was about. I was about to tell you I was sorry for YOUR loss.

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
And then???

WTF does that mean? Because you call your Aunt, Rose when her real name is Rosa, you get to change Rosa Parks name? :shrug:

Oh, thank you almighty moderator for your so gracious response to the death of a great woman. May she rest in peace.

wally9404

Established Member
im sorry to see her pass,but what is the big deal? so she didnt give up her seat on the bus that makes her a civil right pioneer?

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member
wally9404 said:
... what is the big deal? so she didnt give up her seat on the bus that makes her a civil right pioneer?

What a courageous, enlightened statement. Made from someone who obviously has suffered the indignity of segregation and is well studied in the history of the world and has a full understanding ot the consequences of ignorance. :poke:

She was truely a woman of courage. May she rest in peace.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
wally9404 said:
im sorry to see her pass,but what is the big deal? so she didnt give up her seat on the bus that makes her a civil right pioneer?

Wally, think of it this way;

She did NOT react to the white dude that way just because she was lazy or had an attitude.
She along with many other's of that time period saw hypocrisy being used thru the principles on the Constitution by it's controllers of the States.

The Constitution is a Great Document, if applied equally. It's only as good as the motives & intentions of it's Govenrment.

It required Guts to do what she did, knowing what happened to other's who rebelled against the segregationists inlcuding the great MLK himself being jailed, beaten & such.

There IS a BIG difference between people I consider great in my eyes with the likes of MLK, John Lewis ( D- Atlanta ) & Andrew Young ( D-Atlanta ) & the likes of modern city poverty pimps/ race hustlers like Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson.
About Jesse Jackson, I admire & commend what he did then, but somewhere between then & now, I'm not sure where he " lost " it.

My hat's off to Rosa Parks & like the starter of this thread said, may she RIP!

Put youself in her shoes back then, how would you feel if the situations were reversed?

:beer:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Smokinbago said:
Oh, thank you almighty moderator for your so gracious response to the death of a great woman. May she rest in peace.

At least I got her name right!

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
snakedoctor said:
Like Cedric the Entertainer said in "Barber Shop", Rosa Parks didn't do a damned thing.

That line was'nt to be taken seriously. It was only illustrating how some of those old school inner city blacks like to " rap " about various issues.

It's sorta the same kind of satire used by Eddie Murphy in one of his movies where the old guys ( black and white ) are sitting around arguing about the best all time boxer. A little bit of everything was said & all was only meant as satire, not to be taken seriously.

Just to remind you, when that particular line did come out in " Barber Shop ", some of the Civil Right's leaders sharply rebuked it, in which I am glad they did.

Users who are viewing this thread