Quiter 3" axle back exhaust

94CobraPace

Established Member
I picked up a VMP Gen 2 for the 2010. Mods are ARH 1 3/4" long tubes with catted X pipe and 3" Magnaflow competition cat back mufflers (exhaust was on the car when I bought it). Tuner suggested I go with off road pipe with the addition of the VMP supercharger upgrade. The car sounds great now, mellow and gets loud when driven aggressively, not raspy. I think it will become obnoxiously loud with the hollowed out cats or off road mid pipe. I"m wanting to quite it down a little.
What is a quieter 3" axle back? That is not raspy.
I see 2.5" axle backs, but would rather stay with 3" if possible.

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If you like the sound and volume of the car now, why not keep it the same? Switching an O/R X pipe in your current application would be raspy and way louder than what most owners would consider driveable on the street. You might pick up a couple hp by removing the cats, but may not be worth compromising your current setup.

Sielmo

Established Member
X2...I did a complete exhaust and the rasp! Finally went with Borla Touring and finally rid myself of the rasp. I spent a ton of $ finding the right exhaust. In summary, it's a way different sounding car when you modify the mid pipe forward.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
OP, Magnaflows are traditionally one of the more quiet options. You will be hard pressed IMO to find something less loud. Especially with headers.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the comp series, way too loud for me. I went to the street version and I am much happier now. Still loud but not nearly as much.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Does Magnaflow have a 3" street version for 2010? Just need the axle backs. I have the 3" competition version.
Removing the cats is not for the HP, but don't want the cats to melt & plug up. Remote tuning with Jon Lund and they said he prefers no cats with VMP especially with G2.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I assume the 10 and 12 cars would be the same, maybe someone could chime in if they know for sure. Mine is a 12. I have a cat back system for the 12 car if you end up going that route. I had a mix up and ended up with two sets.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Add 3" resonators, or my specific recommendation of Stainless Works 3" 'retro chambered' mufflers/resonators in the system.
You'll have to add resonators or additional mufflers for a full 3" catless exhaust.
-J

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Does Magnaflow have a 3" street version for 2010? Just need the axle backs. I have the 3" competition version.
Removing the cats is not for the HP, but don't want the cats to melt & plug up. Remote tuning with Jon Lund and they said he prefers no cats with VMP especially with G2.

We offer the Street system for 2010s, but all of axlebacks are currently 2.5" because there is no performance benefit in using 3" for only a few inches. If you would like 3" all the way through, you could use a pair of our 4x9 oval mufflers with 3" inlet/outlet, then have an exhaust shop add the piping in between.

fmylife

Established Member
How about the Dynomax VT mufflers? They don't come in a 3" kit but a good shop could install them.

rdanzy

Established Member
I have the Magnaflow 3 in exhaust for a 2013-14 GT to install on my 2010. I wanted a 3 in exhaust but not the quad tips of the GT500. The GT exhaust is a single tip for each side as is my 2010. Researching exhaust hangers for the 13-14 GT and GT500 I noted that they were the same. I also have the 13-14 hangers. I hope to install this in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread