Quieting Down My Exhaut??

clc44

Established Member
IMO these cars get way too loud without cats/resonators, not sure what it is. I have been watching dyno videos/drag videos of supercharged coyotes, depending on the exhaust setup some of these cars you can't even hear the supercharger over the sound of the exhaust.

If it were me, I think you are on the right track, I would add resonators in a location similar to where the factory resonators were located. Dynomax Bullet mufflers might be a good choice for this, as I believe they will not limit flow and are reasonably priced.

I agree.. The magnaflow and mbrp's appear to have more material inside which should help with tone a little more than the dynomax. I may just go with the MAgnaflow as I know they will quiet the car down. I worry the 16" body on the MBRP won't fit, but it should, right? Which would y'all choose? About $12 more per resonator for the Magnaflow. The added length of the mbrp may quiet it down a tad more. Keep the advice coming as I'm ordering something tonight.

5lho

Established Member
IMO these cars get way too loud without cats/resonators, not sure what it is. I have been watching dyno videos/drag videos of supercharged coyotes, depending on the exhaust setup some of these cars you can't even hear the supercharger over the sound of the exhaust.

If it were me, I think you are on the right track, I would add resonators in a location similar to where the factory resonators were located. Dynomax Bullet mufflers might be a good choice for this, as I believe they will not limit flow and are reasonably priced.

Nothing adds loud as much as a supercharger. Always good if you are going FI is picking the quality of sound you can live with, because you're going to get a lot more of it when you blower the car.

Always easy to tune the noise up, not so much to tone it down. That's why I picked GT500s. Quiet but with some authority; quality sound all around so, if there's more noise generated by later mods, it'll likely retain that quality.

Sizeth3

Established Member
That was my choice for exhaust too, I am keeping my cats and might just keep my resonators too. Hoping a Procharger will either add some more volume, if not then it will just make the blower easier to hear :).

clc44

Established Member
Nothing adds loud as much as a supercharger. Always good if you are going FI is picking the quality of sound you can live with, because you're going to get a lot more of it when you blower the car.

Always easy to tune the noise up, not so much to tone it down. That's why I picked GT500s. Quiet but with some authority; quality sound all around so, if there's more noise generated by later mods, it'll likely retain that quality.

I will most likely keep the GT500's for a long time. I just need to figure out which resonator to go with. The MBRP has 2" of body, which should help the volume more but will it fit?

That was my choice for exhaust too, I am keeping my cats and might just keep my resonators too. Hoping a Procharger will either add some more volume, if not then it will just make the blower easier to hear :).
I want the added power the car has without the cats. I feel once I add resonators it'll be perfect.

SixPak

Established Member
I put LT's, catted X pipe & Roush AB's on my car, and it was just obnoxiously loud, and raspy as hell downshifting or even decelerating. I ditched the Roush in favor of the GT500's and stuck some 18" Dynomax Race Bullets where the factory resonators used to be. Problem solved. Rasp only heard on heavy downshifting, like it should be. A little loud on cold starts, but mellows out nicely after a few minutes.
Here is a link to the Bullets: >>http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24219/overview/?ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

clc44

Established Member
I put LT's, catted X pipe & Roush AB's on my car, and it was just obnoxiously loud, and raspy as hell downshifting or even decelerating. I ditched the Roush in favor of the GT500's and stuck some 18" Dynomax Race Bullets where the factory resonators used to be. Problem solved. Rasp only heard on heavy downshifting, like it should be. A little loud on cold starts, but mellows out nicely after a few minutes.
Here is a link to the Bullets: >>http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24219/overview/?ibanner=MobileSwitchNo
I ordered the Magnaflow 14" case and 20" overall length. It should help greatly as in not looking for much, just a little less rasp and volume. I have the quads, not sure the difference other than the tips. I've had both but the singles were with stock manifolds and cats.

khawk952

Established Member
Clc44, im located in Atlanta also and have been considering quieting down the rasp on my setup. What shop are you using in the area for the dyno?

rotarymagic

Established Member
I looked at some other options that might affect the sound more. MBRP has a great looking option and so does Magnaflow, both are
View attachment 62376
Also considering the Magnaflow resonator, it seems to have more packing. Both of these look like they'd quiet it down more than the Dynamax.

What size body was yours? 12" or 16"

What size are your bullet mufflers? 12" or 16" body... Also, my exhaust guy said that going 2.5" would be better for reducing size, but wouldn't it choke it down a bit? If it cost me some power I def won't do that and I'll go 3", which is what I'm probably going to do anyways.

Thanks for your help!

Do not reduce to 2.5inches, that defeats the purpose of doing a freer flowing exhaust. I got the longest bullets that would fit. 3inch in/out 4inch resonator.

SixPak

Established Member
clc44 said:
I ordered the Magnaflow 14" case and 20" overall length. It should help greatly as in not looking for much, just a little less rasp and volume. I have the quads, not sure the difference other than the tips. I've had both but the singles were with stock manifolds and cats.

I think the bullets really helped get rid of the rasp. If I had to do it again I would go with the quad tip 500's. I think they give just a little bit deeper exhaust note, and most likely are less restrictive. I really like this combo as it has nice street manners during 'normal' driving and provides a nice note under WOT situations.
I think you'll be happy with that combo.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Clc44, im located in Atlanta also and have been considering quieting down the rasp on my setup. What shop are you using in the area for the dyno?
Im using Mo's speed shop. In ready to button it up and get numbers

Do not reduce to 2.5inches, that defeats the purpose of doing a freer flowing exhaust. I got the longest bullets that would fit. 3inch in/out 4inch resonator.
I already ordered 3" in and out Magnaflow resonators, 14" long
In the market there are stock OTA.

I think the bullets really helped get rid of the rasp. If I had to do it again I would go with the quad tip 500's. I think they give just a little bit deeper exhaust note, and most likely are less restrictive. I really like this combo as it has nice street manners during 'normal' driving and provides a nice note under WOT situations.
I think I'll love it when I'm done.

clc44

Established Member
So, I knew something didn't sound right with the exhaust. I noticed that my over the axle pipe near the axle back was not hooked up properly. It had a gap that was causing a very loud blotchy sound. I got under my car tightening it up, now the car sounds much better. It is still a little bit raspy under part throttle. But I definitely believe that the resonators will solve the issue. I think I'll be very happy with the final result. Thanks very

clc44

Established Member
After driving my car for a week or so after finding that pipe not fully connected, I must say the car sounds great! There's not much rasp and it's not all that loud. I'm still installing the Magnaflow resonators that I purchased (3" in/out, 4" body, 14" body length, 20" overall length). This will keep my soon to be new neighbors happy. Once I get these installed, data log for tune revision and the very slight steering shaft rubbing issue it will get back on the dyno. Any guesses on the numbers??

Users who are viewing this thread