Quick weight reduction?

bmitchell373

Established Member
Id like to shave a little weight off the car. I know you can take off the weights on the rear axle, gut the trunk, back seat. But is there anything else that can come out that's worth while? I will leave pass seat and carpet in, and dont want to take door panels off etc.

Parts will come in time.

bmitchell373

Established Member
I'm getting after it! (down 15 in 3 weeks). I don't want to get crazy but save a little. I will be getting nice wheels with me tax return. Some day a one piece DS. Working on exhaust this week. Tubular suspension is down the road.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
The basic suspension stuff can really drop some weight. Going to the steeda ultra-lite springs and steeda pan hard bar dropped 15-20 lbs. Plus it will give it a better stance. Aftermarket control arms will also drop a few lbs. All of these things will give you a double benefit of dropping weight and vastly improving handling, even on the Brembo cars.

If I didn't have a budget I would definitely be swapping out for a tubular k-member and front control arms also. CF hood would shave a few pounds off the front, but those aren't quick weight reducing mods.

bmitchell373

Established Member
The basic suspension stuff can really drop some weight. Going to the steeda ultra-lite springs and steeda pan hard bar dropped 15-20 lbs. Plus it will give it a better stance. Aftermarket control arms will also drop a few lbs. All of these things will give you a double benefit of dropping weight and vastly improving handling, even on the Brembo cars.

If I didn't have a budget I would definitely be swapping out for a tubular k-member and front control arms also. CF hood would shave a few pounds off the front, but those aren't quick weight reducing mods.

I plan to do all the rear set up, fix wheel hop, give me adjustableness. Want to do springs/struts next year. K member can wait till motor comes out for build long long far away!

BUCKET

Established Member
Washer bottle full of fluid on my '13 weighed 8lbs

Steeda lower rad support 10lbs

Vossen 20x9 fronts lost me 4lbs each corner over stock boss 19s

I gained 1lb each corner in rear going to a 20x10.5

All stock exhaust weighed a ton. Running full stainless works now. I didn't get to weigh all that out. But easy 40lbs

DS should be around 20lbs. So that's on the list.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Seems like parts is where it is. Not much to just pull in the car. I did a little looking, the shaftmaster is the preferred DS correct?

Dave_6

Established Member

I couldn't believe how light the Steeda PHB is when I first took it out of the box. Same with their springs. I need to get some of their billet LCAs and the lower radiator support.

BUCKET

Established Member
All the covering and tire cover in there is worth some weight. Forget how much the pump and stuff was. 5lbs?

Fun4me

Established Member
DS and Wheels. Tires can save 3-4 lbs per tire, between differant models of the same size.

Your never going to lose more than 10% of the cars weight, but its SO easy to gain 40+ hp with boltons and tune.

Ivan 5.0

Established Member
A few I did: start with a base model, full exhaust with no cats, rlca's, PH bar, CAI, aluminum driveshaft, boss intake, new stb, sound tube delete, radiator support, springs, dampers, new grill (fog light delete), 18 x 9.5 rotary forged wheels, drain windshield fluid, remove trunk crap.

Light weight sway bars (Strano) will be my next mod.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread