Quick tip for keeping your car cover secure outside.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I've been dealing with this problem for months and months, every time i come home from work i would see my car cover blown off of my car and usually down wind under someone else's vehicle. It is very frustrating, especially living in eastern New Mexico where the wind and sand is really bad. I tried tucking it under every crack and crevice on the car, I tried putting Velcro strips that i bought from Walmart on it as well, and it would still blow off. So who would have thought that simple binder clips would solve the problem. Lol its really simple but its cheap and it works. You can pick up a box of clips for a few dollars at Walmart.

5cTAeL.jpg

grm5w8.jpg

mAV6gA.jpg

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I leave my 02 GT covered at the airport when I'm gone and have had issues a couple times with high winds. One concern I'd have with your technique is if the winds get strong enought to loosen the cover even with the clips, you now have metal clips whipping around damaging your car.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Yep, I've used wooden clothes pins before, 3 or 4 on each end. Also, if you get a custom car cover a lot of them will have a "hole" in the center under the doors (rocker panel area.) for a cable lock that runs under the car. I've weighted that down on each side with a homemade small sandbag. Just hang the bag over the cable and it will pull tight (down)

Last edited:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I leave my 02 GT covered at the airport when I'm gone and have had issues a couple times with high winds. One concern I'd have with your technique is if the winds get strong enought to loosen the cover even with the clips, you now have metal clips whipping around damaging your car.

Good point, but as long as you put enough of them around your chin spoiler or ground effects trim, you should be good. You're basically avoiding air from getting up under the cover and essentially turning it into a sail. I'll let you guys know if i have any problems in extreme wind this monsoon season.

Weslsew

Established Member
I've used those before to hold the cover down on my grill, but they do rust when they get wet and will leave rust marks on the cover.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Good idea but I'd be scared of those hardened metal clips that close to my paint. I use these clips for the cover on my tractor. Works great. No rusting. Also a tighter cover would help. My cover craft fits very tight on my Mach 1. I used those kind of covers for inside use but they are a pain outside. Also they seem to degrade over time outside.
depositphotos_8311169-Plastic-clip.jpg

IMG_20131030_162402_805_zpsswlbc3ux.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread