Quick Time Bellhousing - Installation

WDW MKR

Established Member
Any recent installs that had to cut some length off the alignment dowels in the block? I saw mention of removing ~1/4" in another thread and mine look to be 1/16-1/8" too long, meaning they stick out past the mounting flange face of the bellhousing and will prevent those (2) bolt from tightening against the bellhousing. Will the dowels pull farther into the block or do you have to cut them? I drilled out some custom spacer washers only to find that the passenger side doesn't have enough clearance around the hole for a typical washer.

lloyd393

Squid missile
Established Member
Any recent installs that had to cut some length off the alignment dowels in the block? I saw mention of removing ~1/4" in another thread and mine look to be 1/16-1/8" too long, meaning they stick out past the mounting flange face of the bellhousing and will prevent those (2) bolt from tightening against the bellhousing. Will the dowels pull farther into the block or do you have to cut them? I drilled out some custom spacer washers only to find that the passenger side doesn't have enough clearance around the hole for a typical washer.

Mine has spacers and the one side is ground down so it sits against the bell housing, but the holes are lined up so the bolt can go through and tighten down all the way. The spacers are pretty long and hexagonal shaped.

WDW MKR

Established Member
No spacers with mine. Went ahead and cut 1/8" off and buttoned it up. Didn't get tranny to bellhousing bolts, crossmember bolts or a shifter handle, either. I'm awaiting a return call from D&D. Not sure exactly which accessories were supposed to come with the kit.

It's buttoned up in the car. Just have to install the shifter handle and put some miles on it.

WDW MKR

Established Member
No spacers with mine. Went ahead and cut 1/8" off and buttoned it up. Didn't get tranny to bellhousing bolts, crossmember bolts or a shifter handle, either. I'm awaiting a return call from D&D. Not sure exactly which accessories were supposed to come with the kit.

It's buttoned up in the car. Just have to install the shifter handle and put some miles on it.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Now, on to the next issue...

My starter is making a hell of a racket during engagment and having a hard time kicking the car off. It sounds as if it's engaging to far, putting the centerline of the teeth past the flywheel. Has anyone had to shim their starter after installation of the Quicktime?

WDW MKR

Established Member
Well, I partially pulled the starter and found that it's not engaging enough. Any ideas? I have to think that either something in the starter is gummed up and limiting travel, or it's too close to the flywheel and preventing perpendicular tooth engagement. You can actually see pieces of molten starter slung up inside the bellhousing in one of the pics.

6eee0f8a.jpg

875e55c2.jpg

c875b5a7.jpg

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
You know, the more I look at it the more this looks like the standard taper on a bendix to allow for misaligned engagement. Anyone have a bendix picture for reference? Perhaps I should try this shim I picked up and see if it does any good to better align things. Perhaps my starter just crapped out at the most coincidental time...

WDW MKR

Established Member
Here are a couple of vids. I put the starter back in after giving everything a once over and made sure everything was seated flush before tightening down. The noise might have changed a bit... can't be sure. Girlfriend thinks it's lower pitched. The car will start without issue, but makes a squeal/shriek when it does. You can also hear the sort of "howl" while it cranks.

Cranking with no startup (fuel pump fuse pulled):
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOhKMbuRRg8"]YouTube- ‪Starter Issues - cranking‬‎[/nomedia]

Cranking with startup (notice the shriek at ignition):
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGM46eI7Fw"]YouTube- ‪Starter Issues - startup‬‎[/nomedia]

WDW MKR

Established Member
Not getting much feedback, but here's another update.

I pulled the starter back out to clean, inspect and lubricate the bendix. Put everything back together and it still does the same thing. A closer inspection shows evidence that while the bendix is getting full engagement, the flat crest of the flywheel tooth is bottoming out in the root of the bendix gear. I'm not aware of any adjustment in this area. It's obviously not interfering enough to prevent engagement or rotation, so it doesn't appear to be any sort of incorrect part issue (i.e. wrong flywheel, wrong bellhousing, etc). Is this something that could wear in? Can I change the bendix gear? Are the starter mounting holes in my bellhousing simply off by a hair?

WDW MKR

Established Member
Problem fixed!

So, I ended up enlarging the starter bolt holes to 7/16" (they were previously a hair under 3/8") and took a little less than 1/16" off the OD of the starter snout around a little more than half of the circumference. Car starts smooth every time with no strange noise. I can now enjoy this new transmission and get the clutch broken in!

greengt88

Established Member
What trans did u go with?? A t-56 magnum?? Can u use the stock bell on the magnum or do u have to use the QT bellhousing to install it?

WDW MKR

Established Member
T56 Magnum with 2.66 1st gear. You can run the stock bellhousing if you want, though I highly recommend the safety upgrade to the Quicktime. My issue was an anomaly that no one else I've talked with has run into. It's a great piece.

Users who are viewing this thread