quick run down on pulling the motor out my cobra

silver93

Established Member
Ok guy it turns out I fried a piston in my cobra. I have access to a lift and the car has long tubes on it so ima drop it out of the bottom of my car. I was wondering what all has to be removed from up top to let it come out the bottom. Just trying to get a heads up on what I got before I start on it.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Disconnect all wiring, hoses, and ground straps. Do not disconnect the Air Conditioner hoses. Just unbolt the compressor and use some wire to hold it out of the way of the engine when you drop it out.
Finally unbolt the K member and slowly raise the car on the lift a tiny bit, checking constantly for the one or two hard to reach wire looms that you misses. You did remember to disconnect the fuel line, didn't you? And the exhaust.:fm:
Just go really slow so you can get all the stuff you missed unhooked before it gets damaged. Going out the bottom allows you to leave just about everything on the motor until you have it out and mounted to a stand. And remember that it's actually easier to leave the trans mounted to the engine, so don't forget to unbolt the trans cross member. And the wiring attached to the trans.

silver93

Established Member
thanks bro, that will be very helpful i havent started yet on the car it will be about a week or two before i tackle it.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
i think it was a piece of cake taking it out the top not having to deal with unbolting the k member and re-aligning it etc.... to each their own though

Ironhand

Banned
Also dont forget the brake hoses or power steering lines. They will hang up a motor badly and can get left behind.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
hey check my ''link'' below in my sig. I had it out ,trans off blower /ect. in 4 hours.
have fun !

Users who are viewing this thread