quick question

InsaneMetalHead

Yawn...
Established Member
Yesterday I was driving over to the next town when I noticed blue and red lights going toward the town I just left. I thought it was an ambulance but it turned out to be the Explorer sheriff vehicle. Is it possible for an officer to test people on highways or any road for that matter and see if they will pull over and if they don't they can pull them over? if this is unclear to you let me know.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
What part of Illinois are you in? Around here we have Sheriffs AND State Troopers running around in Explorers.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
hmm I don't know, I think he means maybe since people thought the cop was an ambulance, he was testing people to see if they would yield and pull over to an emergency vehicle. I think he was wondering if he then could have been ticketed if he did not pull to the side? :shrug:

InsaneMetalHead

Yawn...
Established Member
foofinator said:
hmm I don't know, I think he means maybe since people thought the cop was an ambulance, he was testing people to see if they would yield and pull over to an emergency vehicle. I think he was wondering if he then could have been ticketed if he did not pull to the side? :shrug:

You're kind of right. I was just stating I thought it was an ambulance. I was wondering if it is possible for officers to drive around with lights on and test people and see if they would pull over and if they didnt. The officer would pull them aside and ticket them

Lawman85

Banned
InsaneMetalHead said:
You're kind of right. I was just stating I thought it was an ambulance. I was wondering if it is possible for officers to drive around with lights on and test people and see if they would pull over and if they didnt. The officer would pull them aside and ticket them

Not around here. Turning on your lights and siren is such a huge liability that we don't do it unless it's an emergency. When ever you turn the lights on everyone wants to sue you if you cause an accident. I don't know of any officer that would take that chance just to write a ticket.

InsaneMetalHead

Yawn...
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Not around here. Turning on your lights and siren is such a huge liability that we don't do it unless it's an emergency. When ever you turn the lights on everyone wants to sue you if you cause an accident. I don't know of any officer that would take that chance just to write a ticket.

I figured that he had an emergency but the question came to mind just to see if it was possible. Thanks Lawman85

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
No. The circumstances in which an officer may run code (code three or run code refers to using lights and sirens) are set by statute. To do so outside of those reasons is unlawful. Furthermore, pulling someone over without probable cause is unlawful, and even if the officer isn't fired or arrested for it, nothing from the stop, be it a ticket, or an arrest for drinking jack and coke while drving around with a body in the trunk, would be admissable in court.

However, they can always find something to pull you for legally, given enough time.

I also have spoken with officers who follow ambulances and fire trucks every chance they can get, and pull over anybody who doesn't yield. I like that. I think most speeding tickets are revenue based BS, but failing to yield for an emergency vehicle should get you in some hot water.

Users who are viewing this thread