Quick question regarding Cutting out the resonators

steveofiveo

Established Member
I know the pipe diameter is 2 3/4 before and after the resonator and it's easy to cut them out but what diameter pipe is everyone using. The muffler shops near me only have 2 1/2 and 3 inch. Some of them are recommending sucking up the difference with weld but i'm not excited about the step that will inhibit the flow.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

S

Swetrid

Established Member
Most will use 3 inch pipe and install over existing pipe. I ordered stainless 2 3/4 off of amazon and used that instead to match factory tubing.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Is there a pretty big difference in sound by removing the resonators? Enough to justify the cost of cutting, welding and replacement pipe?

acrbill

Established Member
Well the stock resonator necks down to 2". Not cats, no resonators and straight through mufflers will be loud as fack.

steveofiveo

Established Member
Is there a pretty big difference in sound by removing the resonators? Enough to justify the cost of cutting, welding and replacement pipe?

I just got back from the muffler shop and it definately sounds a lot better. I installed the GT500 mufflers about 5 weeks ago and it sounded much better than the stock ones. But, it wasn't quite loud enough so I left had the resonators cut out and it definately sounds more agressive.

So while the car was up in the air I checked out the factory H-pipe, it necks up and down in size a few times which can't be good for performance but according to JPC there's only a gain of about 5 hp if you switch it out.

By the way JPC did mention there was supposed to be a gain of 5 hp by removing the resonators. I am very pleased (no interior resonance) with the way it sounds now I have to decide on what to do with the stock H-pipe.

S

RioRed4v

Established Member
I just got back from the muffler shop and it definately sounds a lot better. I installed the GT500 mufflers about 5 weeks ago and it sounded much better than the stock ones. But, it wasn't quite loud enough so I left had the resonators cut out and it definately sounds more agressive.

So while the car was up in the air I checked out the factory H-pipe, it necks up and down in size a few times which can't be good for performance but according to JPC there's only a gain of about 5 hp if you switch it out.

By the way JPC did mention there was supposed to be a gain of 5 hp by removing the resonators. I am very pleased (no interior resonance) with the way it sounds now I have to decide on what to do with the stock H-pipe.

S

Thanks for the info.

I think Lethal picked up something like 18rwhp with a different midpipe (i think 18 with the X and 15 with the H), but if I recall theirs also had a tune.

Knowing that the resonators neck down that far, I might have to replace mine. Might just go axle back and remove the resonantors since I'm not sure if the cost of a full catback is worth it:shrug:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

It improves the depth/tone of certain mufflers but can makes some extremely loud. With the GT500's is a must IMO. Performance Muffler out in Vegas shouldn't charge you more than $50 to do the job.

RioRed4v

Established Member
It improves the depth/tone of certain mufflers but can makes some extremely loud. With the GT500's is a must IMO. Performance Muffler out in Vegas shouldn't charge you more than $50 to do the job.

I'm no longer in Vegas.. doesn't look like you areeither, but good to see ya still in a mustang:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I'm no longer in Vegas.. doesn't look like you areeither, but good to see ya still in a mustang:beer:

Crap, forgot that you moved to CO! Yep, I left Vegas in 08' after the market imploded.

Enjoy the Coyote as they are fun. I've gone 12.4 @ 113+ with only real mod being FRPP Procal.

kona12

Established Member
Dam wish i knew you were doin this. Would have swapped you my deleted pipes for your resonated ones. After installing my offroad last night straight NASCAR.. should have waited b4 deleting them.

ViciousJay

Established Member
how loud is it with this? if i end up keeping my GT500's i wanna go this route but i wanna make sure it has some balls. All the Youtube vids have me second guessing it

Users who are viewing this thread