Quick question on gear purchase

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Hey there, I picked up some FRPP 3.55 gears today, but am hearing different things on what else I need to get these installed. Someone said the install kit, someone else said nothing shop will have rest, car is a brand new 2014 5.0

scotmach

Established Member
What gears do you have now that you think warrants a switch to 3.55's? Your signature doesn't say anything about your car.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Hey there, I picked up some FRPP 3.55 gears today, but am hearing different things on what else I need to get these installed. Someone said the install kit, someone else said nothing shop will have rest, car is a brand new 2014 5.0

Install kit & new rear pinion bearing for the 2011+ cars. The install kit comes with a pinion bearing but ford changed it in 2011.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Sorry about that. I have 3.15 currently, and car is auto.

Last edited:

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Also FWIW I ran a whole summer on a gear change that used the supposidly "wrong" bearing that comes with the kits and did not have any issues.

scotmach

Established Member
Those gears will do nothing for you. Do you have a tune yet? I thought I remember reading you didn't have a tune which you would need to correct for a gear change anyways?

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Getting a tuner so I can put my parts on that I have building in garage lol, gf getting pissed.

scotmach

Established Member
The tune will make a big difference but I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish with 3.55's.

Last edited:

RIPCHVY

Established Member
I was told that unless you just want to change the gears in the auto the best is to stay with the 3:15 or no higher then 3:31. And if you plan to supercharge it or turbo it then stay with stock geras. My buddy replaced his 3:15 with a 4:10 and on the street even on a ET drag he wouldn't hook. The 6R80 transmission already has a first gear ratio of 4.17.

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Since the car is new you don't need an install kit your bearings, races, and everything else are fine. Just remember put it back on the exact way it came off. There are arrows on the caps to mark the which end is up. You do need a pinion bearing if you don't have one and some good synthetic fluid to refill the rearend but if a reputable shop is doing the install they will provide it at a little extra cost I'm sure.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Since the car is new you don't need an install kit your bearings, races, and everything else are fine. Just remember put it back on the exact way it came off. There are arrows on the caps to mark the which end is up. You do need a pinion bearing if you don't have one and some good synthetic fluid to refill the rearend but if a reputable shop is doing the install they will provide it at a little extra cost I'm sure.

Yea that's true. Since the car is new you should be able to reuse all bearing except the rear pinion bearing. Wish there was a way to remove it without destroying it. since you have ford gears you should be able to reuse all the same shims.

vortecd

Established Member
If I could have ordered more gear then the 3.15's I would have, but knowing what I do now, I would have stayed with the 3.15's. If your car will always be N/A then there may be something to gain. If going to a supercharger then I would stay stock

Seems anything you know about modding a Fox you might as well forgot with the Coyote. What worked well on a Fox doesn't seem to do much of anything on a Coyote as far as basic mods

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
I was told that unless you just want to change the gears in the auto the best is to stay with the 3:15 or no higher then 3:31. And if you plan to supercharge it or turbo it then stay with stock geras. My buddy replaced his 3:15 with a 4:10 and on the street even on a ET drag he wouldn't hook. The 6R80 transmission already has a first gear ratio of 4.17.

This...

OP, AZMP I believe will provide all the other parts you need for install. Give Jay/Hannah a call or FB PM. They'll reply to you within a couple hours.

Users who are viewing this thread