Quick question on bleeding brakes

87hatchy

Established Member
I'm installing brembos tomorrow and switching to DOT4 fluid. Aside from bleeding the brakes as you would normally do on any other car, is there anything special I need to do with the clutch when changing the brake fluid? I ask because I believe the clutch and brake system share the same fluid, no?

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I am doing the same thing this summer. I will be converting the clutch reservoir to a separate reservoir mounting spot like someone else did (see posting in these forums). I don't see the intelligence behind having the brakes and the clutch share fluid. A very "douche" move on the part of Ford.

87hatchy

Established Member
hey thanks for the response...I am familiar with the mod to separate the clutch fluid from the brake fluid, however, I am NOT doing that. I'm keeping the factory setup, just replacing stock fluid with DOT4.

I'm just wondering if there is anything special I need to do with the clutch after bleeding the brakes as you normally would since they do share the same fluid?

Do I have to bleed the clutch line somehow? I seem to remember reading that it is a self-bleeding system. So do I just pump the clutch a few hundred times? Or do I not even have to do that?

Last edited:

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Just bleed the brakes normally as you would on other cars. No need to worry about the little bit of DOT3 that may mix in from the clutch. After a few bleeds throughout the year, it'll be diluted enough to not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread