Quick question for LEO about minor traffic ticket

acrod

Established Member
I just wanted to the opinion of another LEO, on a traffic ticket I received. I have a clean record never been stopped for anything in my life. Well anyways, I was on a minor highway and it turns into a main street with traffic lights. There was heavy traffic and I needed to make a right turn onto another street. I was in the right lane, I specifically waited till the lane widened and the shoulder white line extended out. At the point I went to the right and drove down to make the right turn, where I was stopped by a cop in addition with like 5 other cars. He gave us all tickets for riding on the shoulder. I was polite and nicely stated I had waited till the lane extended into another lane, which he then proceeded to tell me I drove on the improved shoulder and I drove down it for about 1000ft ahead of the real turning lane. Now I had never heard of an improved shoulder before but I didn't argue. My question is how will this stand up in court? I mean I specifically waited for the lane to widen into another before I made the turn, granted there was no white line delineating the turn lane at the point I made the transition but I never knew it needed to be there. I thought once the lane widened into another it was fair game as a turning lane. It was clearly widened into another lane at that point. Here is a pic of what it looked like. Now I am stopped on the side of the road taking the picture but maybe 10 feet ahead of me is where I turned to the right, where the lane widens.
IMG_0183mod.jpg

Last edited:

acrod

Established Member
oh also forget to mention that the police office was set up in the background by the gas station near the trees.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Why would you argue about an "improved shoulder" when you state you never heard of it. There is such a thing as an improved shoulder, just as there is an unimproved shoulder. Regardless, you can't bypass traffic by driving on the shoulder.

acrod

Established Member
That's what I said I didn't argue, I was not trying to imply that I would have argued with him, it was just additional information I decided to offer. I'm not trying to insult or discount the officer, he was very polite and so was I. And I know I can't drive on the shoulder to bypass traffic, in my estimation I was making a right turn, as stated in my post? I'm not asking whether there is such thing as an improved shoulder as I now know what it is, what I am asking is that area really an improved shoulder? You can't see very well in my pic but it turns into a turning lane. Granted ignorance of the law is no excuse but it looked like it was a lane already to me. If it was still obviously a shoulder, I wouldn't have even made the turn.

Last edited:

acrod

Established Member
Basically, or so I thought. I actually decided to wait until the lane widened into another before I made the turn.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I'm not asking whether there is such thing as an improved shoulder as I now know what it is, what I am asking is that area really an improved shoulder? You can't see very well in my pic but it turns into a turning lane. Granted ignorance of the law is no excuse but it looked like it was a lane already to me. If it was still obviously a shoulder, I wouldn't have even made the turn.

If you crossed that solid white line before it became a broken white line, you were on the improved shoulder of the road. That solid white line is the boundary of the usable roadway.

Go and explain it to the judge/magistrate. Take your pictures and present a cogent and articulate explanation. You might get lucky.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done
safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled
lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped