quick question about my oil seperator

opie99

Established Member
Just installed my oil seperator last night and drove my truck about 10 miles and its about 1/3 of the way full already. Is that common for it to be this full already? Does it sound like I might have a problem. Its an 01 with 77,000

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Just installed my oil seperator last night and drove my truck about 10 miles and its about 1/3 of the way full already. Is that common for it to be this full already? Does it sound like I might have a problem. Its an 01 with 77,000

I never used a compressor style separator so I don't know how much oil typically accumulates over a given period of time, but this is just another reason why compressor style separators are crap IMO. The L&S oil separator drains the oil directly back into the cam cover... maintenance free FTW.

04RedApple

Established Member
Trying driving more miles. Bet that's all the oil you will see accumilate in the glass. If you empty it out, it will again quickly fill to this amount! Mine did the same thing!

opie99

Established Member
Well i can't do much about it know, I don't feel like buying a new one right now. I knew that was the better one but didn't think it was going to be like this. Thanks for the insight guys.

uncooked

Established Member
Thats what I thought to. Shocked at how much.

Now imagine since thoughs compressor filters aren't meant for synthetic your most likely not even filtering ALL of it. Thats what made me grab my visa and order the L&S

opie99

Established Member
that was a waste of about $40:bash:. about how much do these things cost because mine is already about full and ive only driven my truck twice now.

uncooked

Established Member
You can drain it though eh. Its better than nothing ! Imagine all of that crap used to blow right into your intake tract.

Just start saving for the maintenance free L&S for the future.

I was in the same boat as you, ordered the L&S. Once i received it I tore into my truck one weekend and did the intercooler cleaning / spark plug change (pulley and maf swap as well for me)

Now with a freshly cleaned intercooler and new plugs I threw the L&S on, look to have been oil free ever since.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Thats pretty typical of one of those Campbell-Hausfeld in-line air filters. They fill up quickly - you empty them - and repeat this until you nice they don't stop any oil vapor at all. If you do a search you'll find a lot of us installed them back in 2001+ - and most of us removed them after about 2-3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread