Quick question about bearings

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
Hey guys,

I put together a shortblock with new crank, rods, pistons, bearings, etc, in a freshly machined WAP block. I recently got a teksid block, so I am planning on transferring the rotating assembly to the teksid. Is it a bad idea to reuse the rod bearings? My gut says it should be alright. What about reusing the main bearings? My gut says maybe, but probably not. So I'm just looking for some input from someone more experienced.

Thanks for the help.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If everything is new there's no reason not to use what you have. I think the aluminum blocks use the same main bearings. Double check to make sure. Also double check your main clearances.

Any particular reason you're switching blocks? Unless you're looking for 1000+ the WAP is fine.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
If everything is new there's no reason not to use what you have. I think the aluminum blocks use the same main bearings. Double check to make sure. Also double check your main clearances.

Any particular reason you're switching blocks? Unless you're looking for 1000+ the WAP is fine.

I will be shooting for high horsepower, but not right out of the gate. I figure why build another motor once I get to that stage, since a teksid fell into my lap for free, and I can get the shortblock taken care of in one go.

As far the bearings go, I know the kits are sold specifically for the aluminum blocks, and should be the same. But I wasn't sure if there would be some minuscule differences since they've already been torqued down in one block. But I'll double check clearances when I assemble everything in the teksid. If it's good, there shouldn't be an issue I'm hoping.

Any other feedback is appreciated.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If the engine was never run with the main bearing I don't see any problems.

If it was run I might be a little reluctant to move them over to another block due to the fact they were already seated to the bearing saddle. I don't know for sure but I would hate to find out after the motor was installed and running only to learn there is a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread