Quick Physics Question - Surveillance dome mirrors

elijah

Established Member
I use a surveillance half dome mirror in my shop. Unfortunately, I have a hard time seeing what's happening in the back of the shop, since the details appear very small. Do I have to get a bigger or smaller dome mirror to see details in the background better?

RelativeResourceManager

Do I need a bigger or smaller dome?

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Do you know that from a physics standpoint or just guessing because it seems logical?

Physics is the science of matter and it's motion... It has nothing to do with the refraction/reflection of the dome.

I researched the subject and found that the convex nature of the mirror causes a compressed image. I would assume that the larger the mirror, the larger the compress image will be, as well as more coverage of area.

You can determine a dome's surface area (ie: size of reflective surface) by using the formula:

A = (2)(pi)(rc)(h)

rc = height^2+(diameter/2)^2/2height

So the reflective surface having a larger surface area, would then reflect a larger image I would believe.

It is much like the small mirrors on trucks. They in effect make objects look closer than they appear due to their convex shape, the larger the mirror, the larger the image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coiled03

Established Member
Physics includes the study of properties and motion of light...

QFT! Anyone who says this isn't a physics question never did a ray diagram in physics, :lol:.

Anyhow, I'm not sure it's a question of surface area, rather a question of focal length. I think you need to decrease the focal length, thus allowing you to see further, but decreasing the image size at the same time.

elijah

Established Member
If it's a concern why not buy a cheap camera?

It was an actual question off of homework for my class, I don't own a shop nor do I need a mirror :p :rockon:

I was in a bind and didn't have a whole lot of time/was confused, mirrors work in tricky ways...

Thanks to everyone for the help, the answer was in fact bigger!

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
It was an actual question off of homework for my class, I don't own a shop nor do I need a mirror :p :rockon:

I was in a bind and didn't have a whole lot of time/was confused, mirrors work in tricky ways...

Thanks to everyone for the help, the answer was in fact bigger!

Lol, are you 14. That sounds like a 9 grade physics question. A quick google search could have resulted in the right answer but it is more complicated to use.

Users who are viewing this thread