Quick GT350 Education Please

johnkn

Established Member
Thinking of buying myself a (62) birthday present. I'm loosely familiar with new mustangs and considering a GT350r as a bookend to my early '66 GT350.

What's really funny that I just realized, this will be my first new mustang purchase. My first car at age 18 was a Boss 351 (1973). I've owned several Early GT500, Boss 302 cars, Panteras, 68 r code, etc.etc. But only have a few in the garage now .

Any chance of getting the quick tutorial? It will just be a fun driver in rotation with the other cars. No track time. I would also probably throw an additional $20k-$30k in engine mods.

As always, thanks. John

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thinking of buying myself a (62) birthday present. I'm loosely familiar with new mustangs and considering a GT350r as a bookend to my early '66 GT350.

What's really funny that I just realized, this will be my first new mustang purchase. My first car at age 18 was a Boss 351 (1973). I've owned several Early GT500, Boss 302 cars, Panteras, 68 r code, etc.etc. But only have a few in the garage now .

Any chance of getting the quick tutorial? It will just be a fun driver in rotation with the other cars. No track time. I would also probably throw an additional $20k-$30k in engine mods.

As always, thanks. John

Quite the post.

Well, a GT350R is going to be hard to come by, unless you're willing to spend the $15-25k over MSRP.

If you're going to spend $20-30k on engine mods, I wouldn't buy an R. I'd buy a GT350, and mod it accordingly. You would lose your ass, or your kid's inheritance, paying up for an R, only to spend more money on it.

What $20-30k engine mods are you thinking to throw on it? I guess I'm just curious to your intentions.

johnkn

Established Member
Thanks, Just beginning the thought process. I can't disagree on the GT350 w mods, I just dont want to look back and wish I went with the R. Not sure about mods, I'll never track the car or drive it the way it needs to be driven. it would be a very limited weekend driver. Motor mods? IDK blower? Not sure that TT seems in keeping with the car's strengths. Ive even thought about the '18 GT500 modified, just don't want to wait and a new white 350 would look good next to my 66 350. I appreciate the help. Thanks

johnkn

Established Member
Adding to above, I see you have Viper, here's the experience I'm looking for again. when i purchased my Viper I ordered it sight unseen 2000 miles away from Bill at Woodhouse. Mark J. Installed the Paxton blower, 3.55 quaiffe rear, shifter, motor mounts, exhaust, intake, etc., etc. I went to the best and the experience has been perfect. I change the oil every 3k, new blower belt at 12k, put gas in it and enjoy. The 2 times it's been worked in I call Mark, he picks the car up in an enclosed trailer, and returns to me when it's completed. No worry, I know it's in the best hands. Looking for that experience again with this car. My next questions were going to be who does the absolute best, proven and tested motor mods, I could just buy the car local to them and have it shipped once complete. Once again thanks

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Adding to above, I see you have Viper, here's the experience I'm looking for again. when i purchased my Viper I ordered it sight unseen 2000 miles away from Bill at Woodhouse. Mark J. Installed the Paxton blower, 3.55 quaiffe rear, shifter, motor mounts, exhaust, intake, etc., etc. I went to the best and the experience has been perfect. I change the oil every 3k, new blower belt at 12k, put gas in it and enjoy. The 2 times it's been worked in I call Mark, he picks the car up in an enclosed trailer, and returns to me when it's completed. No worry, I know it's in the best hands. Looking for that experience again with this car. My next questions were going to be who does the absolute best, proven and tested motor mods, I could just buy the car local to them and have it shipped once complete. Once again thanks
Mark Jorgensen is awesome. I've spoken with him several times and he's been a ton of help.

There are several shops doing TTs and superchargers on the GT350s, but I wouldn't say there's a standout place like there are in the Viper world. I'm sure @Zemedici could hook you up though!

I must just be a purist, I'd have a hard time cutting into an R, after I know I've already paid too much lol

But if the money isn't a big deal, which it doesn't sound like it is....go big or go home and we'll all live vicariously through your experiences!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
Thank you @13COBRA

Welcome, my name is josh and I run the front of a performance shop based out of Kennesaw, Georgia. We've installed twin turbo kits on GT350s as well as superchargers, both with success. It truly depends on what you want out of the car, power goals, fuel desired, etc etc. I'll shoot you a PM this upcoming week, as I am at an event for work right now (Wanna Go Fast, in Clayton GA).

I agree with 13cobra on the fact that if you're looking to extensively modify the vehicle I would go with a GT350 over an R, due to the fact that the specific parts that make an R an R may or may not be changed out when modifying, ya know?

Will touch base as soon as I get back to the shop!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
No worries about starting off with an R. There isn't any difference between the R and GT350 engine. The R will net you better aero package(splitter and spoiler), CF wheels, better tires, a racier suspension tune, red accents on stitching, badges, strips, and center marker for the steering wheel. Plus you can get the Nav, switch gear while still getting the coolers(assuming you want a 16 to match the 66)

Plus you get to be asked all the time "is that a real R?" From people who can't believe someone would modify a "special" car. In the end it is your money and your taste. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the R in your color choice and go to town. But I catch grief and compliments from the cars I modify of both my own and at the shop.

Anyone can own one, it takes a real man to cut one up.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I bought a GT350 as a "stop gap" to track until the ZL1 1LE or new GT500 were readily available.

Didn't think I'd like having "just" 526 HP.

BUT, I love this car. I don't miss the straight line super grunt of my former GT500s and '03 Cobra, well not much anyway.

I like the car so much I now wish I had looked harder to try to find an R at a reasonable price.

I'd rather have a stock R than a non R with 20K in mods. It doesn't sound like you are funds limited, if that's true, an R with 20K in mods would be bonkers. But you might find you like it as is.

oh, and here's what's next to my GT350, still looks the same more or less even though this picture was taken back when i had the GT500. Just a FB, not a Shelby.

IMG_2679_zpst0elnaqh.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I don't own a 350, I have a 14 500. I spent a weekend instructing a student with an R for a couple of days. Amazingly competent car. In fact, it is so good it hides a driver's short-comings. I found it very aggressive on the track and tuned for the track. I don't think I would enjoy driving it on the street due to the track oriented suspension. Plus, I would have to remove the CF rims due to the replacement cost on the street, which throws off the suspension.

I have a friend with a track pack 16 model and it is more compliant feeling on the street, but still very track oriented.

If I was you, I would hold off and get a fully loaded 17 model 350, not an R.

Tom

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I must just be a purist, I'd have a hard time cutting into an R...

^^This. I added the Ford Racing oil catch cans and some wheel locks to my R. That's about the extent of modding I'll do to it. I might put a K&N filter on it down the road. Now, if somebody makes some emissions-capable velocity stack throttle bodies, I might be all over that!

OP, for the purpose that you're stating for the car, the R is NOT what you're looking for. Just get a regular GT350. The R is very aggressive on the street.

Zemedici

Established Member
^^This. I added the Ford Racing oil catch cans and some wheel locks to my R. That's about the extent of modding I'll do to it. I might put a K&N filter on it down the road. Now, if somebody makes some emissions-capable velocity stack throttle bodies, I might be all over that!

OP, for the purpose that you're stating for the car, the R is NOT what you're looking for. Just get a regular GT350. The R is very aggressive on the street.

how many miles you put on your R, bud?

oldbmwfan

Established Member
I'm of two minds. On the one hand, it's your money and the R has some nice stuff that's hard or very expensive to add (wing, CF wheels, Magneride calibration, different ABS calibration, etc.). On the other hand, if your goal is to modify the hell out of it, what you start with doesn't matter much.

I might lean toward non-R, because the "specialness" of the R (balance, agility, reflexes) will go away with the mods you make ... and it will destroy the value attached to the rarity.

I am in line with GTPremi; my R came with wheel locks; I'm adding the oil separators for track use, some jacking rails, and a front tow point. No other mods on the list (might get some N4SM R-type wheels and more street-friendly tires; not sure).

Up to 1700 miles on my car now and will have it on track for the first time in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread