Quick General Tire Question

wlg101190

Established Member
I think I remember a while back reading you should not mix slicks and street tires. By this, I mean running street tires up front and some slicks out back. Is this correct, or does it not really matter? Thanks!

dormeas

Established Member
Well I mean is it safe to run at the track with some 17" street tires up front, and 15" slicks out back?

There are differing opinions on this subject. I don't know exactly what you mean by "slicks"? But here's the deal.

If you are talking about a Drag Radial ie. Nitto 555R, then yes it is completely safe. And people drive with this setup on the track and street all the time.

On the other hand, if by "slick" you mean a true Bias Ply like the one below, then that's where opinions are different.

mtt-3078r_w.jpg

The idea is that the soft side wall that makes the bias ply hook so well is bad when paired with a street tire up front. I have seen many a car get scary going down the track on slick street combo as you described because the street tires grip so well they cause the car to track side to side as you steer. Almost as if the car is pivoting on the wheels and tires, instead of them turning on the ground. My personal opinion. I have seen too many people crash because of this very reason on slicks. So I can't recommend it:shrug: Just spend the extra cash and get skinnies for the front and do it right:beer:

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
There are differing opinions on this subject. I don't know exactly what you mean by "slicks"? But here's the deal.

If you are talking about a Drag Radial ie. Nitto 555R, then yes it is completely safe. And people drive with this setup on the track and street all the time.

On the other hand, if by "slick" you mean a true Bias Ply like the one below, then that's where opinions are different.

mtt-3078r_w.jpg

The idea is that the soft side wall that makes the bias ply hook so well is bad when paired with a street tire up front. I have seen many a car get scary going down the track on slick street combo as you described because the street tires grip so well they cause the car to track side to side as you steer. Almost as if the car is pivoting on the wheels and tires, instead of them turning on the ground. My personal opinion. I have seen too many people crash because of this very reason on slicks. So I can't recommend it:shrug: Just spend the extra cash and get skinnies for the front and do it right:beer:

Shit, learn something new every day.

I have seen people max out the psi in their front street radials. Would that be why they're doing that?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
If you mix bias ply rear with radials up from you will get sway at the big end.
It can be very unnerving.
I did it and sometimes it was worse that others but at 130+ with concrete walls on both sides a car next to you why take a chance.
Once I got bias ply skinnies the sway went away.

Users who are viewing this thread