Quick clutch adjustment help needed

Formula51

Established Member
Trying to adjust throw out bearing preload and I have backed out the firewall adjuster to the point where the cable is pretty tight (can still wedge a flathead screw driver between cable and adjuster but no slop when I pull on cable) and the bearing is still spinning. My goal was to back it off until it stopped spinning and then turn in a couple clicks to preload the throw out bearing.

How tight is too tight on the cable? Will I hurt anything by continuing to back out (counterclockwise) the firewall adjuster?

Just trying to make sure I am on the right track and don't want to hurt anything.

McLeod RXT clutch, upgraded quadrant, firewall adapter, adjustable pivot ball and MM pedal height adjuster.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Looks like I had found some bad info previously. I need to thread the firewall adjuster IN to take pressure of the throw out bearing. Got it to where I have maybe an 1/8" or less of slack at the adjuster when I pull on the cable and the throw out bearing is spinning. However, if I pull firmly on the clutch fork toward the rear of the car, I can see the throw out bearing slow down and stop spinning.

Does this sound adjusted correctly? I found a video saying there should only be a dimes width of slack between cable and adjuster, but that will put a little more pressure on my throw out bearing. Maybe that is the right amount? So hard to know....

Odd thing I noticed, this car has the LDC freeplay spring on it, but it has no tension on it, like it is too short. In other words, it is not doing anything to keep pressure off the throw out bearing. Sould I leave it there or remove it?

jblood37

Established Member
The ldc freeplay mod should move the tob away from the pressure plate when firewall adjuster is in correct position.

Users who are viewing this thread