***quick circle d install question***

Yellow03snake

Established Member
Got the stock converter out, directions state to check the clearance and shim if excessive....

Has anyone had to shim theirs and how would you even put the shims on between the flywheel and converter? There is literally zero room

Thanks

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Should NOT be zero room! Make sure your converter is in the trans all the way, the snout should be flush with the bellhousing surface

CPRsm

Make sure there is play or you will wipe the thrust and push the crank into oil pump gears losing oil pressure.

Yellow03snake

Established Member
Make sure there is play or you will wipe the thrust and push the crank into oil pump gears losing oil pressure.

So with the converter fully bolted in there should be play btween it and the trans correct?

I haven't even gotten to the step to check clearance yet, whats the best method?

CPRsm

No, there has to be play when the trans is bolted in, before you tighten the converter to flexplate. The play will be removed when you tighten i down, but the play will move to the inside of the tranny between the pump and converter

Yellow03snake

Established Member
No, there has to be play when the trans is bolted in, before you tighten the converter to flexplate. The play will be removed when you tighten i down, but the play will move to the inside of the tranny between the pump and converter

Think I got it seated...Holy hell, I'm too old for this shit :beer:

04compgt

Established Member
It is around 3-4 clicks iirc. If you put a cap of the rear seal and tilt the tranny a little where the tail shaft points down it will help you seat it in there.

CPRsm

Yeah, that converter was pretty hard to get it right. Very close tolerance fit. When you have it in there right, you can pull it back about .200 and slid it back in and hear a very solid clunk. If you don't, or the converter doesn't stay parrellel to the ground or moves when it hits it's not all the way in. You can also run a bar across the bellhousing and measure to the mounting tab of the converter

Yellow03snake

Established Member
Got it in there 3 clicks, snout of the converter is flush with bellhousing, not sure if that's enough because when I bolted the trans up earlier the converter was right on the flywheel...

Users who are viewing this thread