Quick BMR K-member Question

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Is anyone running the stock height BMR K-member with a whipple 2.9?
If so what size upper pulley? The shop that I'm having do the install is advising me to go with a half inch drop because they think the stock height BMR k-member wont fit the 2.9, even though they have never installed one on a GT500

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Don't have the 2.9, but I would just play it safe and go with the 1/2" lowering K. It may also help you retain the strut tower brace depending on your intake.

ivandrea

Established Member
^ +1, i wish i would have gone 1/2 lower. I have the TVS with the 127mm intake and cannot use my strut bar.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I would like to make as much room as I can for long tubes rather than run a strut brace. That is originally why I wanted stock height.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Im not saying their is a problem with all long tubes but I have been told certain ones hang lower. My car is going to be low and I don't want to scrape them.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well I went with the 1/2 inch drop but I do not have LT gave a little more cleanance between the stb an the intake tube

rlhay2

Established Member
Some have had interference issues between long tube headers and the steering shaft when the motor is lowered. Sorry, I cannot recall the exact details.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Some have had interference issues between long tube headers and the steering shaft when the motor is lowered. Sorry, I cannot recall the exact details.

I had to dimple one tube about 1/4" on my ARH 1 7/8 LT's. My car is lowered 1.25" and never an issue with scraping.

PRP

Established Member
Is anyone running the stock height BMR K-member with a whipple 2.9?
If so what size upper pulley? The shop that I'm having do the install is advising me to go with a half inch drop because they think the stock height BMR k-member wont fit the 2.9, even though they have never installed one on a GT500

I have a 2010 GT500.

I installed a FRPP/Whipple 2.9L SC with the 3.00 inch (factory installed) pulley it comes with for the 2010.

I also installed a Shelby (BMR) K-member that has the 1/2" drop.

While I was at it I also installed the FRPP FR3 handling pack that includes the 2010+ style Strut Tower Brace, a set of FRPP Shorty headers along with the Shelby 8-qt. oil pan.

Tell your shop the Whipple 2.9L SC *WILL* fit with a stock height K-member. OEM or BMR. If you use a Kenne Bell, that's a different story (you must either lower the engine 1/2" or notch the hood).

There were NO issues with clearence from using the 1/2" drop k-member and in fact, there was AT LEAST 1 inch clearence between the FRPP STB and the top of the Whipple 2.9L SC body. No problem with the shorty headers either but I have seen a set of LT headers on a stock engine height GT500 and I would NOT try using a dropped k-member with them because his already nearling hitting the ground with his collectors and they WOULD hit if he went over even a slight speed bump. They were CLOSE to the ground already, and that was without a 1/2" lower engine.

I don't know what difference the *pulley* would make as it sits well below the top of the SC body so even with a 3.25" pulley, there shouldn't be a problem.

Now here's the catch I ran into...I did have to remove the STB because of a clearence problem. But the problem wasn't between the STB and blower, it was with STB and the hood. I noticed the hood appeared slightly "lifted" on either side along the edge, right about where the strut towers were. In fact, it was a friend who isn't even a "car guy" that pointed it out. I couldn't see the STB hitting the hood but after I put some miles on it I noticed wear marks on the STB from where the hood blanket rubbed on it. Okay, easy enough to fix...I removed the hood blanket. That lowered the hood about HALF way, from about 1/4" too high to about 1/8" rasised. I removed the STB completely and my hood now closes all the way so the STB was hitting the HOOD but it had PLENTY of room for the blower. I could have raised the engine at least one inch if I really needed to.

Having said that, I don't know if maybe my STB was made wrong and is a half inch too high. That would explain why MINE is the only '10+ I've heard of that had hood clearnece problems AND why there was at LEAST a full inch clearence between the STB and Whipple 2.9L (with a 1/2" dropped engine).

If you're going to run long tubes, my suggestion is to go with the STOCK height K-member. But here's something to think about. If you get the 1/2" lower K-member, it's EASY to raise the engine using 1/2" shims on the motor mounts. A simple 1/2" thick aluminum washer on each side would do the trick and then you could have the best of both worlds. 1/2" lower if you can get away with it, or stock height if you needed it (and anywhere in between).

Hope That Helps/HTH,
Phill Pollard

Users who are viewing this thread