Questions regarding Nitto tires air pressure??

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I just go Nitto 555R's 315/35/17 mounted on the stock rims, and 555 Extreme's 275/40/17 up front. I ckecked the recommended tire pressure both on the tire and Nitto's website, and all it says is that the maximum is 44 PSI. I put 35 on the rear and 32 up front. What do you guys recommend?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
why would you put more in the rear than the front? :dw:

Last edited:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
The tire shop told me that since the 315 out back are wider than the 275's up front, that it would be better, especially since they were mounted on the stock rim

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
car is nose heavy so you want to go high in the front to properly support the weight

a good rule of thumb for drag radials is to run them at 75% of max pressure on the highway...around town you could lower that a few lbs to get more bite

I'd suggest 36-40 in front and 26-30 in the rear

if underinflated, the 315's (on stock rims) will roll over the sidewalls during hard cornering

you could go higher than 30 in the rear but traction will suffer greatly

Last edited:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Thank you Jb, I mostly drive in town. I am confused with your advise. At first you recommended 26-30 PSI for the rear tires, but you also said if underinflated, they will roll over the sidewalls. I am alos wanting to get the best wear pattern so they at least last for a decent amount of time. Do you think that if I keep the 315's at 35, that is too high? What if I go 32 psi all around?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
with the 315 on 9" rim, underflated (for the street) would be less than 26

many run them lower than that but I like to push limits when hitting sweeping freeway ramps, etc so I didn't like the way they rolled over

35 will work for the rear, just won't hook as well and depending on how you like to drive you may wear them out quicker because they'll spin easier

like I said, I believe in keeping fronts high but some don't like the firmer ride or difference in tracking

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
With 10.5" rear wheels, I ran 32psi with the 315 Nitto's.

In the front with the stock F1's I run 28.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I have the Nitto's on the rear on stock rims and run 30 psi. I've been told to deflate at the track, but without a compressor I don't want to take a chance getting to a gas station with a working air hose late at night.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I just put 30 PSI for the 315/35 555R's and 32 up front for the 555 275/40. This seems to be working good.

MountainDew

Do the Dew!
Established Member
18X9's all around...

Front 275/35 - 40 psi
Rear 295/35 - 30 psi, although I might go up to 35 psi and see how that is

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
According to Nitto's Tech Department, the RII Extremes grip best for road racing at 40 lbs. hot.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
PonyFever said:
I have the Nitto's on the rear on stock rims and run 30 psi. I've been told to deflate at the track, but without a compressor I don't want to take a chance getting to a gas station with a working air hose late at night.
I'd buy a portable air pump. I've seen units which plug into the cig lighter for ~$30. Check Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears. They take a while to add the air, but it will be less time than running all over town looking for a working air hose in the middle of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread