question's predator, runnin no chip, etc...

cobra101

Established Member
Hi all, Please bear with me...

with the predator programmer (instead of chipping it), couldn't a tune shop simply upload a program onto it for me (using their predator, assuming most shops will have em once they become available and popular) and then fine tune. This would save us from buying a chip or a predator. I figure maybe they would charge for the uploading and dyno tune (with o2 sensors), about $200 bucks???

also, the only mod I have is CAI. If I got a RR 2.93 pulley and 74 inch belt (I hear this combo works well), would I need a chip? Keep in mind my exhaust is completely stock so maybe my a/f mix would be ok? (assuming the more mods like headers, x pipes, and cat-backs, the leaner it would run?) what about 2.8 RR pulley and 73.5 ? need a chip/tune?

I do crave some rumble from the exahust but think it would be good to pick up power from a pulley and leave the stealth exhaust. I was also thinking getting a maggie cat-back and having my stock mufflers welded into IT. I know I would be robbed of some hp but I would think I would gain maybe 6-10 with just the wider mandrel bent pipes? (I hear the stock catback is smaller diameter and crushed down pipes in places.)

I suppose I could do it and then get a dyno with a/f done to see but wanted to know your opinions.

thanks for any info..

Ps. Ran up against a mercedes SLK32 AMG yesterday. nice cars, just like the common slk230 and slk320 (hardtop convert) but this slk32 amg is a beast. I looked up some numbers - 12.9 1/4 mile @110MPH 4.5sec 0 to 60mph. Talk about a good matchup being I am stock aside from CAI. We'll anyways he was showing off with one of his buddy's in the car and I caught up to him. at the red light traffic was clear and we went. I took him by a car and 1/2 and he pretty much stayed their. we stopped at next light and I told him he didn't have a chance, he insisted we go again. we did and the same result, about 1 1/2 cars. Only went to about 75mph. I am sure the distance between us would have gotten greater had we gone on.

pss. MSRP on a 2002 slk32 amg is 76,000+ Granted it is a different type of vehicle than our cobras and it is a sweet ride.

03DOHC

Established Member
There are a few places that can flash your pcm so you wouldn't need the predator or a chip. Fordchip is one and there's a dude in St Louis that I know of that will flash your PCM.

From what I understand the predator marries to your VIN, so it can only be used on that car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're going to run a smaller pulley and chip you most certainly want to improve on your exhaust system. The stock intake (I know you changed it) and exhaust are going to be limiting factors.

cobra101

Established Member
Thanks for quick replies...

wow, good info. so if the VIN is attached to predator I would need my own. good to know.

as far as exhaust mods, I do realize that will limit how far I can go. I really am looking for about 430-440rwhp. I read a post here where a 03 owner had stock exhaust and was making over 430rwhp with just CAI, 2.93 pulley and chip.

sounded good for me.

Maybe my best solution is to buy a predator when they come out and a 2.93 RR or 2.8 RR pulley (with appropriate belt 74 or 73.5 respectively).

I like that idea of that "fordchip" flashing. any major disadvantages from this to using a chip? anyone know a GOOD tech who can fordchip flash a pcm and tune here in socal?

Right now I am waiting for the predator to come out and to see the waves it makes around here.

thanks for all your info :)

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
with the predator programmer (instead of chipping it), couldn't a tune shop simply upload a program onto it for me (using their predator, assuming most shops will have em once they become available and popular) and then fine tune. This would save us from buying a chip or a predator. I figure maybe they would charge for the uploading and dyno tune (with o2 sensors), about $200 bucks???

Okay, here's the deal with the Predator:

There isn't any plans at this time to allow dealers to have a "blank" tool that gives unlimited uploads. Maybe, just maybe in the future that may happen (and it'll cost the dealer a good penny if that should ever happen), but as the way it will be set up now is all customers must buy their own Predator.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
From what I understand the predator marries to your VIN, so it can only be used on that car.

As for VIN marrying, this is what is done on the GM's (Gas and Diesel), but not on the Ford Diesel's, so the Gas Predator may or may not VIN lock. There is no definitive answer on this yet, and anything could change by the time it is released. Only time will tell... ;-)

j card

Established Member
I read somewhere on another thread that our computer doesn't have the VIN in it, so that might explain why some of the other Ford applications don't have the lock - maybe they don't have the VIN either.

Users who are viewing this thread