Questions on the Boost Bypass Mod and how to add a boost gauge?

jtfx6552

Established Member
I am really curious about the "boost bypass" mod.

I've read a few posts that tried to explain it's purpose, but they never make sense to me. Maybe I am thick headed?? :bash:

Anyway here is what has me confused. Our cars make boost all the time. For obvious reasons the boost is bypassed during regular , non spirited driving. On my car I get boost at many different combinations of throttle position and RPM. I always thought it was the computer that decided when it was time for a little (or a lot) of boost.

I understand that when you do the boost bypass mod, all this stuff above still works properely, but the computer can't dump boost at full throttle.

It seems odd that by switching some vacuum tubing you can have all the proper boost dumping during normal driving, but not get any boost dumping under wot?

Does the computer have two seperate controls to the bypass valve, one for normal driving and one (that we now disable) for "abuse". That doesn't seem likely.

Maybe I understand the whole system wrong. Maybe the regular driving boost dumping is simply a function of engine vacuum (which does not get changed when you do the bypass mod), and the only reason the computer has a connection to he bypass valve is for boost dump at WOT, so it can be eliminated.

Anyway, still confused over the boost dump mod here in PA. Any clarifications appreciated.

I think I might try it though, does anyone have the url to the lightning website that showed the pictures of how to do it? Is it similar enough on our cars to go by the lightning directions?

Also, I think maybe before I do the mod, I should know exactly what my boost is doing now (with the L-pulley, all I seem to know is it is more than 10 psi ;-)). Anyone come up with an easy way to get a mechanical gauge in the car? Are you t-ing in, in the passenger compartment or in the engine bay? Are the vacuum lines color coded, or do you have to unwrap things to see where they go? If it is hard to figure out which line is what, can someone who has figured it let me know which line it is?

JT

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
My understanding is that the boost bypass simply keeps you from the built in safety feature that cuts boost for something like 10 seconds after you hit the rev limiter. If you do hit it, and you're racing, say good by to a good timeslip. The bypass just keeps the boost on after you shift, so you don't loose it if you bounce the rev limiter.

Here's the link for you - enjoy:
Boost bypass Lightning :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread