Questions on K&N cold aircharge system

03reptile

Established Member
I want to install an aircharge system on my new Shelby GT500. I have viewed several posts on this subject and have read that the K&N system supposedly changes the A/F ratio to the point of the engine running too lean. I spoke with a technician at K&N today and he indicated they have had no negative issues with the GT500 aircharge applications. He indicated that the system does reduce the boost preasure and that the car's computer can compensate for the additional air from the new aircharge system. He stated that the car does not require a computer tune and that the car's computer can compensate for the change and it will not effect the A/F mixture. I had this type K&N system on my 03 Terminator for five years with no ill effects, so I'm wondering if these concerns are based on factual information. This system sells for about $250.00. I've looked at the JLT system, but it is very expensive, $860.00, and it has a tuner included that reconfigures the computer for the JLT system. I really don't want to spend almost $900.00 for an aircharge system if its not necessary.
I'd appreciate, greatly, any input from those of you who have either system or have helpful information about what choice I should make. Obviously I do not want to install a system that is detrimental to the engine so I'm hoping for some guidence in my decision. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Crossss

Mad Torque Inc.
Established Member
I'll sum up the replies that you're gonna get:

JLT/tune is the best way to go, after spending $44k+ on your car, don't get cheap on the mods you choose.

HP/TQ gains for the K&N will total around 15-20rwhp w/o a tune and not 50+rwhp.
(I had the prototype on my car for a short while and dyno'd it, 11ride4life was the original test car and he went JLT)

The cool part about the K&N is that the supercharger sounds much louder vs. stock airbox

While it is true that no one has reported a Shelby engine blowing up because of extremely lean conditions, people have reported that their a/f on the dyno readouts were too lean too be safe on a s/c car. Especially if you're going to run it hard.

Hope that helps :beer:

If you do end up going the K&N route, go get your car dyno'd with a a/f reading and let us know the results. More info is always better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread