Questions on Cat Deletes for 2014 Mustang

14GT916

Established Member
So, I just bought some Jegs Cat Deletes and should get them next week. I have had older SN Mustangs in the past in which the Cat deletes consisted of an off road H or X pipe. With these newer Mustangs I am assuming that I only need the cat deletes right? Also, the ones I got were 3" in diameter. This is the stock size I hope? I also am thinking that the Check Engine light will come on too. Will that go away with a tune? Should I also replace the stock cats every time I go into the dealership for warranty reasons? Sorry for the newbish questions but these new stangs are very new to me.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
to be fair the stock h pipe is pretty restrictive. It is worth replacing.

Yes you will want a tune. You'll get both a check engine light and the car will continue to dump fuel down the pipes to cool the cats you took off.

as for putting the cats back on, depends on your dealer. The one I used to take my GT never said a word or cared.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You must get a tune or you could cause some damage to the car. These new cars are nothing like the old ones. Do it right every time or get use to buying new motors

Contact shaun at AED. He will get you taken care of. Your even in sac so you could get dyno tuned.

Last edited:

14GT916

Established Member
You must get a tune or you could cause some damage to the car. These new cars are nothing like the old ones. Do it right every time or get use to buying new motors

Contact shaun at AED. He will get you taken care of. Your even in sac so you could get dyno tuned.

I planned on meeting Shawn and getting the tune but I was hoping to have fun with my first MOD. I will just be patient and get my CAI and axle back first. Darn.

cuslo1

Established Member
I planned on meeting Shawn and getting the tune but I was hoping to have fun with my first MOD. I will just be patient and get my CAI and axle back first. Darn.

There is no power gains to be had from the AB and not much from the cai if any being stock I would do the cats and tune first, then the axle back for sound and the cai for looks. IMO

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member

lol damage in what way...

it won't cause any damage, just throw codes and waste gas...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
lol damage in what way...

it won't cause any damage, just throw codes and waste gas...

Call a tuner and ask. These cars do things in the back round when codes are thrown and check engine light is on. I don't carw if you wanna be part of the number 8 club but I'm sure the op doesn't.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Also there are only a couple of cai you can use that don't require a tune.

Xial

Established Member
^^ cat deletes need a tune to send the ecu a code back saying they are reading properly when really they just turn O2s off. and like said above tune is everything, granted cai and AB can help support the tune for a little more gain, but i wouldn't waste money on the AB i would get a cat back system to put to the cat deletes already spending 4xx on Axle backs another 200 or so won't hurt for the 3" piping you get to make it less restrictive.

Users who are viewing this thread