Questions on buying '11-12 GT500

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I’ve been out of the Mustang stuff for a while (I had a 03 Cobra w/ a KB back in 2003) and have been looking into getting back into a Mustang soon. Except I’m not quite sure which way to go- 2013 GT, 2011-2012 GT500, or just wait for a few more years (tired of waiting at this point) until a 2013+ GT500 is within my price point.

Looks to me that a 13+ GT is pretty solid. Good motor, great improvements and an all-around great car that can be had for the mid $30k price range. Has a good range of upgrades available that are for the most part pretty inexpensive. However, the 11-12 GT500 has the somewhat facelift front and looks to me to be the same as the regular GTs but with some nicer stuff. And a lot faster right out of the box. However I’ve been reading about gear grinding and although the power is there, the numbers in the ¼ mile aren’t impressive. How’s the overall drive though? I also remember reading that the GT500 switched to a lighter block, etc. somewhere before the 13 which made it a much better car to drive as well. And of course the last option is to hold off for now, and maybe in another year or so when the 2013 GT500s are mid-high 30s, I can consider one. But the question is, how big is the difference? Will I be happy buying a ’11-12 GT500 and doing a few mods? It doesn’t look like the changes are that significant.

Any input is appreciated. I know there are a lot more variables, but as we discuss this, I think it can help me get in the right direction of what to do.

KidMoney

Established Member
I just posted this in another thread. I wish I would have kept my 13 GT Auto. I would be a lot faster for the money I've spent. I just wish it had NAV. There's nothing better about my Shelby, other than its a Shelby.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I just posted this in another thread. I wish I would have kept my 13 GT Auto. I would be a lot faster for the money I've spent. I just wish it had NAV. There's nothing better about my Shelby, other than its a Shelby.

Are you referring to the money spent on the purchasing and modifying the GT500? Doesn't look like you have a lot of mods on it- and it seems that the GT would be slower unless you went the nitrous route.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member

Here's a little race between the two:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...percharged-2012-5-0-vs-my-tvs-2011-gt500.html

I'm the opposite. I don't regret trading in my 11 5.0. It was fast and all BUT. I got locked out of second with the m6 at the track,no grind but LOCKED out completely! Plus its close to 6 grand to upgrade to a blower out of pocket. And they are everywhere you look.

I always wanted a shelby. I also didn't have the 13 front like you tho which I like better then the 11-12 (which is subjective)

Blaine

Established Member
Buy which ever model you like. Best bang for the buck will be the 07-09 GT500. You can get a super low mileage one for the price of a new GT. Another Plus for those models is they look better than the new body.:poke: I could tolerate the 13 GT500, but not for 65k+. Thats in VIPER $$ territory.

KidMoney

Established Member
Are you referring to the money spent on the purchasing and modifying the GT500? Doesn't look like you have a lot of mods on it- and it seems that the GT would be slower unless you went the nitrous route.

The difference in trading and all the parts. That list may not look long, but it's every bolt on you can buy and a bigger blower. And it wasn't cheap. If I put any blower on my GT it would have been faster and I'd have spent less money. Again, I said auto. The MT82's are junk. I can't wait to put a 6R80 in my Shelby. Also, I'd get Brembo's. But it's your money, I'm just telling you my perspective since I've done it. You also get some cooler gauges and heated seats in the 13 GT.

455HO71

Established Member
I've had GT's in the past but owning a Shelby is awesome. Just to be part of an exclusive group is cool and worth it. Lots of attention, lots of finger points and it's a blast to drive. Sure, you could mod out a GT but it's still a GT ;)

455HO71

Established Member
As far as used goes, take your time and look around. I got extremely lucky and found my '11 exactly a year ago- still brand new on a dealer lot just outside of Toronto. They had 2- 2011's still on their lot with 0 miles and a half dozen 2012's. Exact same car but sticker on the '12's were $62-63k CDN and I got mine for $52k CDN brand new. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!

SuperFly03

Established Member
The difference in trading and all the parts. That list may not look long, but it's every bolt on you can buy and a bigger blower. And it wasn't cheap. If I put any blower on my GT it would have been faster and I'd have spent less money. Again, I said auto. The MT82's are junk. I can't wait to put a 6R80 in my Shelby. Also, I'd get Brembo's. But it's your money, I'm just telling you my perspective since I've done it. You also get some cooler gauges and heated seats in the 13 GT.

I've dumped 12-13k into my Shelby at this point with all the mods and shop time (see sig) and frankly I doubt any 5.0 could take me in any way.

I've run into them on the freeways in Houston and I just flat out light them up. Stock for stock (pre '13 GT500) you had to at least be in the right gear to beat a Coyote... now there is no contest.

Not sure why you think a Coyote is that much of a better deal. I paid 40k for the Shelby and 12k for mods.

Maybe it's just different strokes for different folks but I can't stand auto and the TR6060 is bad ass.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I've dumped 12-13k into my Shelby at this point with all the mods and shop time (see sig) and frankly I doubt any 5.0 could take me in any way.

I've run into them on the freeways in Houston and I just flat out light them up. Stock for stock (pre '13 GT500) you had to at least be in the right gear to beat a Coyote... now there is no contest.

Not sure why you think a Coyote is that much of a better deal. I paid 40k for the Shelby and 12k for mods.

Maybe it's just different strokes for different folks but I can't stand auto and the TR6060 is bad ass.

I've had 2 buddies trade in GT's for shelbys...they got tired of getting their asses handed to them..but I will say this the auto GTs are much faster than their stick counter parts.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I've had 2 buddies trade in GT's for shelbys...they got tired of getting their asses handed to them..but I will say this the auto GTs are much faster than their stick counter parts.

GT's just can't hang. Stock for stock they are solid especially with the lighter curb weight but mod for mod... they are just as expensive/heavy. At that point it comes down to what you want.

I would say it depends on how good the driver is. I'm not saying I"m that good, because I'll admit I"m not but I do know my car.

The Shelby Tremec manual can be... tempermental on a good day and a hormonal biatch on a bad one.

Personally, I always wanted a Shelby. I refused to even drive a GT. Would not do it. Because I was coming from an IS originally anything would have felt fast... but damn it I wanted a Shelby. LOL.

KidMoney

Established Member

You've bumped your head. $12,000 in an auto 5.0 would stroke your Shelby, and mine. The resale value isn't the same as a Shelby, but based strictly on performance I'd much rather have my GT back.

KidMoney

Established Member
I would like to see how long that high compression coyote will last under heavy boost.

Just look at the GT section. There's a ton of them. For $12k you could buy a blower and a built motor and convertor. Or a TT kit. It would run 9's.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Just look at the GT section. There's a ton of them. For $12k you could buy a blower and a built motor and convertor. Or a TT kit. It would run 9's.

But in the end it's still just a gt and you won't get nearly the money back out of when you sell compared to the shelby and you will sell it eventually.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I know of a couple Shelby's that run 9s. Look good doing it too. In the street they get more attention and don't ever catch them in the highway. In a couple of years I still don't think you will find a 13+ in the 30s. Unlike the GT they don't lose value like that

kozumasbullitt

Established Member

I am in CA so things are a bit different, show me a street legal GT that will pass smog with mods. I had a 13 gt order that I cancelled for a 11 gt500, no regrets. The theory of a gt modded to beat a gt500 and be cheaper can domino down to a civic with $15k of mods will beat a gt500 and so on.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I've owned svt cars since 2000 . I like the exclusivity of them and the features they added to each model I owned but the 12 gt500 I bought brand new last year is by far the most bad ass car I've ever owned being that I'm 35. The new GTs have quite the following though I'm just not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread