Questions, Got ticketed today for loud exhaust and no cats - referee cert requiered,

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
It sucks, first time I've ever got a ticket like this one, so im looking to know what my option are, from those of you who probably went through the same problem
I have the jegs cat delete, 3" H pipe, 3" dynomax bullet resonators in place of the stock resonators and 3" bullet stile mufflers.

I was issued a CVC 27151A - modified exhaust, that says correctable
and CVC 27156B no correctable.

what is this not correctable stuff ?

And do I need to go the ref, + pay the fine at the ref,? how much is the fine ?
or if I go to the ref, there no is fine to pay ?
or if I don't go to ref, where do pay the fine ?

The main concern is with timing, cop said I can't drive the car until I get the issue corrected by the ref, plus then I think I need to go to court on 06/11/2015 with the ref certification? I'm so confused at the moment, any help on what route to go will be highly appreciated.

I have my stock cat legs, so i'll be putting those back anyways, and I can change my mufflers back to the GT500's, would I really need to see the ref ? if I don't, where do I pay the fine, and how can I drive to court if I don't have a certification ?

Thanks a lot

Zemedici

Established Member
put your stock midpipe back on, go get an inspection or have a shop say you have cats.

Shouldn't be an issue.

Mach828

Established Member
Dang you were pushing your luck running no cats with bullet mufflers in CA. I'd just go throw the stock midpipe on and GT500 mufflers and get it emission tested. Then show up to court with the emissions cert before your court date and hopefully get it dropped.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
So I don't need to go and make an appointment with the referee? Just take the car to any smog inspection and have it smogged?
Im trying to get a hold of the referee to ask, but this people seem ti be extremely busy

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need to take it to a referee station. They're more strict then a regular smog shop.

97snakebite

Established Member
u have 2 option

1. change nothing and pay 500+

2. change to stock H pipe, pay the referee $35 (last time i went) and the $25 court fee

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
I was able to schedule an appointment with the referee for May 8, $116 for both CVC's
Also took off the Jeg cat delete pipes already, and installed the factory catted legs.
I'll be removing the magnaflow axelback with the bullet mufflers, and slapping the axelbacks that came with the car.

That leaves me with the dynomax bullets in place as the resonators, and the custom H pipe I have (this is a Jeg H pipe I bought, and had my local muffler shop to cut the factory h and welded the jeg 3" H legs), would they have any issues with this 2 items?, everything else will be pretty much stock.

Last edited:

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Thanks a lot for the replies fellas, changing nothing and paying the fee, where do I pay this fees ? is it to the referee the day of the appointment ? or directly in court ? I already went back to the factory catted legs, but just curious about this..

another bad thing is that I had to rent a car for the next 2 weeks as I can't leave the wife without a car, damn it..

Last edited:

5.8 Venom

Established Member
Just a heads up, most likely the referee will go over the entire car. Anything you have added, intake/exhaust under the hood will need a CARB sticker.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
The only thing I have under the hood is the UPR catch can, and I can return that to stock in one min.
My concern would be the H pipe(just after the cats and before the CB), which shouldn't be an emission thing as I know have the factory cat pipes in place, and the factory resonators, which I replaced with the dynomax bullets, and those are not for emissions purposes either. everything else is stock, i'll even load the factory tune.
Do you think I'll be ok ?

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Did some research online for the part numbers for the front H pipe and both CB legs just in case
Front H pipe: BR3Z5246C
Right CB pipe: BR3Z5A212A
Left CB pipe: BR3Z5A212C
The last 2 items contain the factory resonators.

Question is, do you guys think the referee won't care about those items, or is this something I have to have stock ?

Last edited:

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
I read the following in another site:
"All you need to do is take your ticket to the courthouse listed on it, go to the courthouse windows where you pay fines and when you get up the to the court clerk, just hand them the ticket and ask what the bail fee is for it. They will probably remind you that you have a court date where you can show you have fixed everything and just tell them I would rather pay the fine and be done with it"

I can try this rather than paying 500$+ to buy the stock front h pipe and cb pipes.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
make sure to have cats on. cali also has decibel limit on exhaust noise, might want to have that done and checked so you have proof of falling under the limit. cat back usually does not cause a ref issue. just be warned most people say pay the fine, that's nice until you get a federal violation fine, 25k for removing catalytic converters. my cars are modded reason for me leaving cali.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Yes, lesson learned the hard way, I have the factory cats on now, just went under the car this afternoon to do this.
I'll call the court tomorrow to see how much the bail fee might be, and if can walk in tomorrow and pay the fine.
I'm paying $400 right now for 2 weeks of car rental, $116 for the referee cert, $520 that i'll need to pay to buy the front h pipe and piipes with factory resonators. I think paying that fine will be cheaper, knocking on wood, assuming they'll allow me to do so without going to the referee.

The car as it right now is fairly quiet, but I'll take it to any smog station to make sure, first I need to find out if I can pay the fine first without waiting for May 8 to get to the ref.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Because California is the only state with smog laws. Isn't New Jersey being more strict with the smog checks?

I doubt the referee station will care about the resonators. I had to take my car there once. I had a Mac catback and they didn't care about it. I pulled my blower off though because it wasn't CARB legal. I passed with the rear O2's turned off.

Last edited:

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
How did they know you didn't have cats? Did the officer look under your car?

Catalytic converter falls under California anti-tampering law. The law is designed to
prevent tampering with pollution control devices on California vehicles. The anti-tampering
law is Vehicle Code Section 27156 and covers all pollution related systems and devices on a
motor vehicle. A violation of this law may also include a parallel violation of California
Business and Professions Code Sections 17200 and 17500. Judges usually impose penalty
based on the severity of the offence and whether a repeat offender is involved, and a fine of
up to $2,500 for each violation may be assessed, as well as some jail time.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/installcatq&a.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread