questions from the new guy

97 horse snake

Established Member
hey everyone, i am the proud new owner of a 97 cobra. i have been reading your forum for a while now, but just recently joined. i've checked out some other forums, but this one seems to have the best and most useful information, so i think i'll be sticking around here. anyway, i want to get my cobra into the very low 13's and maybe a high 12 sec pass here and there. it already has a k&n air filter, c&l maf, and i just put in some frpp 3.73 gears. i also have the steeda pullies and timing adjuster ordered and will be in soon. i don't want to supercharge it or use nitrous. i plan on doing some suspension work and getting an x pipe with cats and a steeda tri-ax. i really don't want my car to be loud. don't get me wrong, i love the sound of a mustang with a good exaust system, but the cops around here tend to pull over anyone with a louder than stock exaust. will the x pipe make my car that much louder? is there anything that you would suggest to help me hit my 1/4 mile goal? any response is appreciated. oh yeah, i have nitto 555's on and i'm a slightly better than average driver.

zac:)

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
You're going to need to get those gears swapped out for a steeper set, try 4.30's. Also will need to lighten it some.

97 horse snake

Established Member
i really wanted to get 4.10's, but like 90% of my driving is on the highway, so i had to settle for the 3.73's. is it not likely that i will hit my goal with the gears i have?

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
You should have gone with 4.10's or 4.30's but get yourself a set of drag radials. If you haven't lowered the car yet that will help you out since it will transfer the weight better. As far as noise goes cars with X-pipes run quiter than car with h-pipes and if you're running cats than it's going to be a bit quiter still.:beer:

97 horse snake

Established Member
yeah dude i know. i really regret not getting the 4.10's. a buddy of mine got 3.73's in his 95 gt and he knows a lot about his car, so it just made sence to me. it never hit me that they were completely different motors and mine revs so much more than his (brain fart). should have asked on here first, but thanks for the replies guys. next on my list is the steeda tri-ax and an x pipe with cats. any suggestions which one? then on to the suspension. i love the way your car looks 1 BA SVT, by the way. thanks again.

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Also, my car pretty much has the same mod's listed as yours, cept im runnin the 4.10's.. i went to the track last night as a matter of fact.. and got a 13.65 on street tires.. so id say once u get those mods installed and are on d/r's you should be able to pull a mid 13. If you wanna stay N/A and get your car into low 13's high 12's.. like the rest of them.. i would go with 4.10's and then look into some future header work on the car.. go with longtubes! :)

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
If you ever plan on getting headers definately go with long-tubes, so before you buy an x-pipe you need think about what you're going to do, since long-tubes use a shorter h/x pipe. The lt's will give you more torque gains. Don't be to hard on yourself about the gears it's always a learning experience. Like I said just get yourself a good set of drag radials, and don't be afraid to leave hard from the hole. Your not going to break anything. I guy i knew had a 98 cobra running a175shot and slicks. He left on the limiter and the bottle everytime and never broke a rear-end.

Thanks for the complement.:D :beer:

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by 1 BA SVT

Thanks for the complement.:D :beer:

no doubt bud. good lookin out on the mods. the other boards i went to were kinda shady and didn't respond to my questions that much which is a big reason that i went with the 3.73's and never thought about 4.10's. this board is cool. i'll drink one for all you guys tonight:beer:

96MysticSVT

Check My SIG, I don't have much in the way of HP mods and i am runnning low 13's. I think with some better tires and a lower 60ft i can hit 12's. All my mods are drive train work, i wanted something bullit proof for the blower coming soon.

If i were you and i didn;t race the car all that much and wanted to get in to the 12's, I would get some 4.30's the speed cal and some SHM (sean Hyland Motorsport, www.seanhylandmotorsport.com) Long tube headers and some nice tires. You will go right into the 12's

Best ET 13.329 105.084. 60ft 2.071. Reaction .529 ( I think I should be able to get that 60ft down a little bit)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread