Questions: Buying a ring

GreyAsp

Established Member
So I'm going out with the GF to look at a couple of sapphire rings soon, but then I realized that I'm pretty clueless on the subject. (I'm actually way more worried about getting screwed when I walk into a jeweller's than a car dealer.)

At most jewellery stores, can you haggle like you can with diamond rings? What kind of markups do they usually have on non-diamond rings? Do you get some kind of certificate of authenticity? Anyone want to share info or real-world experiences? Thanks.

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
I do know that it is difficult to return jewlery. I have 2 engagement/wedding sets I've been trying to get rid of. One came with a certificate indicating that the rings are guaranteed to always 'appraise higher than purchase price'. I tried to bring the rings back (it was a $1400 set) and they offered me $400 or $800 trade. They guaranteed a higher appraisal, not that they would actually take the rings back at a decent price.

So if anyone is wanting some lightly used ring sets, let me know... Or to step on your fine thread, if anyone knows a profitable way to unload jewlery...

JDStud6

Established Member
Ride Along said:
I do know that it is difficult to return jewlery. I have 2 engagement/wedding sets I've been trying to get rid of. One came with a certificate indicating that the rings are guaranteed to always 'appraise higher than purchase price'. I tried to bring the rings back (it was a $1400 set) and they offered me $400 or $800 trade. They guaranteed a higher appraisal, not that they would actually take the rings back at a decent price.

So if anyone is wanting some lightly used ring sets, let me know... Or to step on your fine thread, if anyone knows a profitable way to unload jewlery...

um...so you've been engaged twice, and both times called it off?

JD

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I just ordered my g/f a ring from tiffanys since her bday is april 1st. Now shes got the ring, a bracelet, and a necklace. Tiffanys should be giving me a damn discount by now.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I hate to say it, but at Tiffany's you're paying for the name, not the product.

A LOT of my local jewlers use a 20% markup (I.E. cost plus 20% or more).

I was engaged, did a TON of research, got an awesome ring/diamond at a very good price, but alas, things were called off. I did manage to return the ring, but they guy kept all his profit, plus a little. I managed to pay cost plus 12% on the initial buy, however the return was a PITA.

At any rate, visit this site for all you want to know about diamonds, etc.:

www.pricescope.com READ A LOT, educate yourself.

www.goodoldgold.com is also a very nice site and well organized.

The 4 C's are merely the basics to a diamond.

I got a .85, VS1, E, round, Ideal cut....this stone was like no other I had seen in a store. I got it for waaay less than what stores wanted for other inferior/smaller stones.

Color isn't as easily seen as cut. Cut and size are what make the stone more impressive on first glance.

Colored stones are different, but I don't have a clue as to how you go about choosing them. The first site I mentioned covers pretty much everything I can think of. It is a very friendly forum.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Of course you can haggle. I suppose it depends on the price bracket, but you should be able to get something off. If you're spending 800 bucks, maybe not, but anything over a couple grand and you should definitely.

If you buy at Tiffany, no. But depending on how much cash you're spending, you can trade it in later for original purchase price as long as the new rock is double the price. That should tell you how much margin there is on this stuff.

Good luck. Jewelry is an insane painful rip off, but the broads love it...

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
JDStud6 said:
um...so you've been engaged twice, and both times called it off?

JD

Called it off the first time (I said yes when I shouldn't have, guy was potentially abusive. Punched a lot of things. Was a cop, had a gun, just a bad situation)

Divorced the second time.

Both times I tried to give the rings back, and both times got "What am I going to do with it?!?"

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Know the jewelry business pretty well. The markup is way higher than 20% particularly in the under $1000 range.

Yes you can haggle and deal.

Stay away from the Chain stores, look for a good sized independent owner/operator. Where they know what they are talking about.

Saphires can be heat treated to improve the color, but a good eye will see it very easily. fake stones (Lab Created, Created, etc) are dirt cheap STAY AWAY. A quality saphire should be dark, but easily discernable as blue. Most have some internal flaws, but not very noticible. (Flawless do exist, but the price skyrockets)

PM if you have any specific questions

Bret

wvmystichrome

Established Member
A godd friend who used to deal in jewelry has always told me markup is closer to 300%. I bought a set of 1 carat diamond earrings for my wife that started out at $1,000.00 and I got them for under $500.00 and he told me that I still paid way to much for them. Just my .02 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread