Questions about t56 magnum

erick stangup

Established Member
Has anyone tested this transmission if so how does it compared to the mt82? Is the clutch stiffer than stock? Is it good for a dd or just for racing?

Justin81

Established Member
I feel like this trans may be in my future as well. Hope you can get some good answers. I wonder if a GT500 trans swap is a viable option?

draxxus131

Established Member
The tranny is great just as the detailed info describes it on websites, I have seen a few locally installed and ran. It definitely does have a longer 1st gear compared to the MT82, both people I have personally talked to said they are immediately installing 4.10 gears in the rear. There does seem to be a lack of acceleration compared to the MT82 due to the gear choice within the tranny. Now the clutch being stiffer, well that is all on you for what clutch you decide to purchase from the outfit your using. The transmission does not dictate how the clutch pedal itself will feel, that is a matter of what choice of twin disc you choose rather.

And yes this tranny is extremely streetable!

erick stangup

Established Member
The tranny is great just as the detailed info describes it on websites, I have seen a few locally installed and ran. It definitely does have a longer 1st gear compared to the MT82, both people I have personally talked to said they are immediately installing 4.10 gears in the rear. There does seem to be a lack of acceleration compared to the MT82 due to the gear choice within the tranny. Now the clutch being stiffer, well that is all on you for what clutch you decide to purchase from the outfit your using. The transmission does not dictate how the clutch pedal itself will feel, that is a matter of what choice of twin disc you choose rather.

And yes this tranny is extremely streetable!

Thanks for the info

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have one, had it for a year now, its better in every respect except overall weight. The internal gears are longer then the mt-82, but that can be made up with gears. I have 4:10's and my car is quicker then my previous mt-82 with 3:31 gears. You can bang the gears at will in any situation, gone is the lack of confidence that came with the mt-82 as to whether it will shift at 7000 rpm or higher. And guess what this tranny takes synthetic atf, not gear oil. It weighs 35lbs more the the mt-82. This tranny is stout..get one, you wont be disappointed! Oh and its a tremec magnum xl, the tremec magnum is a different trans internally!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Love mine. I didn't use synthetic ATF though as per their recommendation. I found it to grind gears when I had badass amsoil trans fluid on board. I put in plane jane Advaned auto non-synthetic ATF and it shifts much better than it ever did with the synthetic. It's too slippery to let the synchros function normally based on my experience.

Right now she's holding up just fine to hellion twins making 640whp and held for 10k miles when the car was a nitrous car.

erick stangup

Established Member
If i put a paxton whay gears will u guys recomened? I know with the mt82 and a paxton i need 3.31s. Any difference with the tremec t56magnum xl?

Darufe

Established Member
I havent tested yet but from the rpm/gear calc i was looking at the 2.97 first gear seems best for FI (and adjust rear end gear accordingly)
wich is also what i was told afterwards by the tranny guy.

mind you i havent tested it yet im just going off logic and what i heard.

but the gearing in the 2.97 first gear t56 shifted at 7k rpm drops you to around 4800rpm all the way up to fourth letting you use your broad powerband. In my case with turbos i opted for this one hands down

the other gearing progressively drops less rpm per shift 2nd gear ~4600 third ~5100 fourth ~5400 you could get away with this one on a SC application.

in my case with the turbos i didnt think 5100 and 5400 rpm would give me enough time to let the turbos do theyre job

well here dont take my word for it http://www.teammfactory.com/gearcalculator.php
and put in your specs and see for yourself.
you can put in tire size rear end gear ratio and your tranny ratios it will tell you at what speed youre gonna be when you shift and at what rpm it will drop you. hell it even gives you a nice graph and all im in love with this thing i fiddled with it for hours before deciding wich t56 to order lol

have fun!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Wow 4.10s with a blower. The gear ratio must be very apart from each other

no not that far, 4:10 are just perfect for the tremec its the equivalent of 3:55's with an mt-82..with a 28 inch tall dr on the back. with a paxton you dont get full boost at a touch of the pedal you get it at 5500 to 7000 rpm..4:10 get you into that max boost quicker...

erick stangup

Established Member
no not that far, 4:10 are just perfect for the tremec its the equivalent of 3:55's with an mt-82..with a 28 inch tall dr on the back. with a paxton you dont get full boost at a touch of the pedal you get it at 5500 to 7000 rpm..4:10 get you into that max boost quicker...

If i went with a kenne bell what gears would be best with the tremec?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Dont forget theres 2 diff sets of gear ratios avail for the t56 too. That also affects wich gears youll want in the rear end.

yeah i have the 2.97 1st gear others have the 2.66 1st gear...but on a supercharged car the difference is less noticeable....

Users who are viewing this thread