questions about Porting eaton?

UVa SVT

Established Member
if I have my eaton ported will I still see gains with the stock 8lbs of boost, or do the advantages of porting only come into play when boost is upped? also, will I need a tune for this? it seems to me porting will allow for more airflow, and this will change the air/fuel ratios; however, I have seen threads claiming a retune/chip reburn is not necessary... :shrug:

I think all in all, if ~30 HP is to be seen from this mod with nothing else done, this could be a great band-for-the-buck mod. imagine if this was done along with a 4lb pulley, chip, and filter. most people see, what, about 50 extra HP with chip/filter/pulley.... in this case it would look like 8x HP! not bad for around 400 bucks... anythoughts about this... pros/cons?

-Mike

wally9404

Established Member
with my 8 lb pulley and a superchip flip chip,with my eaton ported i gained 60 hp,shortly after mods i blew the engine,i wouldnt run anything over a 5lb pulley,and definitely get a tune.

Sonic03Blue

Established Member
Stock i made 347 hp and with a psp chip 6 lbs pulley psp fastair kit ftvb and e-fan i put down 430hp and 540 tq :burnout:

ShaneN.

Established Member
i'm pretty set on the 4# from what i've heard but say you did the whole cai/predator/4#lower/plugs. What would be the difference in power if you had a 6#?

skylinegtr

For Sale
Established Member
i have a 6lb pulley and am planning to do the porting the first of the year. i think the porting will add about 2 lbs of additional boost from what i have heard. which sounds resonable because the gains shown are about equal to an adition 2 lb upper pulley would do.

Sonic03Blue

Established Member
I have a 6lbs but i can't tell you the difference in psi cause of the stock boost gage. as far as i know i always max out a 10 psi:thumbsup:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
lol, how long does it take to get the blower back from them (i think SEM, or whoever it is that charges $300). i've been thinking about doing this b/f the dyno tune.
later,
chiz

I.V. Bolt.

Established Member
I dont think you gain any boost, you just get what you should. With the porting you get better airflow, so if you have for example a 6# lower without the porting and the heat it makes, you get about 5 or maybe 4#s. This just my point of view.

APTEN

Apten Performance
Established Member
the porting will benifit you whether you have a stock pulley or an 8lb lower. It will vary from car to car, but we have seen 25-40RWHP with the average in the 30's. You may not need to get it tuned, but it wouldn't hurt. When we port it we can work a package deal where we flash your EEC with a performance program while it's here. It's not detectable to the dealership, and you'll see some gains from that too.

It takes us (Apten) between 2-3 days to port/inspect your supercharger and have it on the way back to you.

Brian Herron

I.V. Bolt.

Established Member
I recomend porting it. I did my own but im sure Apten porting is better. Took it out again tonight, took off at a green light with just 3/4 trottle and it spun the tires on both 1 and 2 gears. Theres just this whistle sound that has me in doubt. I cant find any vacuum leaks, and it seems to be coming from inside the plenum. I think its just airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread