questions about off road xpipes

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
questions about off road xpipes ***video added

I've been wanting to put an xpipe on my Cobra for years now but havent because of the cost of a catalytic xpipe. Im considering an off road xpipe but I've heard they make your interior and clothes smell like exhaust fumes. For those who run and off road pipe is this true? I'm currently running Borla cat-back cause I wanted something different than flowmaster. I love the sound but the downside is its not very loud. which xpipe do you guys recommend? Also, won't an offroad xpipe throw a check engine light? Isnt there some kind of eliminator wire I will need. thanks.

Last edited:

1slohawk

Established Member
With a catback you shouldn't have problems with fumes thats more of a problem when you run turndowns. It wont cause a check engine light either or at least they never have on any of the foxbodies I have owned.

buddha93

Established Member
Shop around for the used stuff. I bought a used Bassani x for a lot less than new and it's easily one of the best aftermarket crossovers I've had.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
so now im complicating things but from what I'm researching most people like the h pipe sound vs. the x pipe on 5.0 engines. any input for those who have ran both? i plan on keeping the stock headers. i really just want to wake up the borlas. course when i bought them the technician said it would take a few thousand miles to break them in and I drive the cobra maybe 500 miles a year.

buddha93

Established Member
I've had a bunch of h-pipes and this is my first x. I have to say I prefer it. You loose a lot of that drone that you get with most Mustangs and it just seems a lot "tighter" when you really lay into it............if that makes sense.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I bought a used offroad H and I love it. No exhaust fumes and I like the sound. How is the sound of an X pipe different than an H pipe? I have the two chamber Flowmasters, but I think I am going to change to a new catback. I like Borlas and Bassani.

Last edited:

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I purchased a BBK off road H pipe today for 167.00 and free shipping. seemed cheap enough. i'll give it a try.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
got the H pipe installed today and it sounds awesome with the Borla's. Its exactly the sound I was looking for. 5th gear cruising speed has no drone what so ever but stand on the gas and it really sounds great. I do have the odor of exhaust gases on my clothes but I dont really drive the car enough to worry about that.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I dont have a video camera but my digital camera records short files. The clarity is poor but when i get a chance I'll see what I can do.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Let's see if this works. The popping sound when revving goes away for the most part after the car warms up a bit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY409XdtUcM"]YouTube - 1993 Cobra Exhaust[/ame]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread