Questions about Kooks long tubes and mid pipes

kingstrider

Established Member
Okay I just got a great deal on some new Kooks long tube headers and a catted x-pipe on craigslist. I didn't need the x-pipe since my car already has the Boss 302 side exhaust kit but I couldn't resist the price and figured I could trade or sell the x-pipe to buy the one I need.

I'm going to call Kooks on Monday but does anybody know if the cats from the x-pipe are the same as those used on the Boss H-pipe assembly? Looking at the photos they appear the same but you know how that goes and I don't want to take a guess and wind up with fitment issues. I figure if the cats are the same, I can either buy the off-road boss H-pipe assembly from one of the online retailers and just swap my cats, or if I'm lucky Kooks will sell just the Boss H-pipe without the other mid-pipes. Does this make sense?

Also, my car is not tuned and I have been avoiding doing so for warranty reasons. I know a tune is essential to realize the greatest gains from adding LTs but is it a requirement? As in am I going to have any major issues other than the CEL by not going with a tune? I figure if I go with a tune then I'm going to go all out with a dyno tune with either Lund or Mike Rousch as both are close to me, maybe 2-3 hours from either. Thoughts??

Users who are viewing this thread