questions about irs swap

j-tan

Established Member
Hey guys I'm looking to do a IRS swap into my 94 cobra.

Will it fit right in without any modifications?
Can I use same drive shaft?
Exhaust?

I search on the forum and couldn't find any help. Is there any links on how to do the swap? Any help would be appreciated thanks

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
No you'll have to do a lot of modifying. Driveshaft wont work, exhaust wont work, and springs wont work.

j-tan

Established Member
It is a complete IRS with shocks and springs. I can get an the cat back exhaust with the IRS. Will the drive shaft from the 99 cobra work or do I have to geta custom one made?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if you alread have an aluminim driveshaft just get it shortned, do a search there and you chould find the correct length to shorten it.

I assume the driveshaft out of a 99 will work, what year is the IRS out of?

Best bet is to do a seach of the forum and then come back with questions about stuff you don't understand or couldn't find

j-tan

Established Member
The irs is from a 99 cobra.

I found out what I needed to do the swap on another forum. Thanks a lot for the input. its a real easy swap the only thing I need to do is bend some brake lines and drill some new holes for the mounting points.

j-tan

Established Member

I found out what I needed to do the swap on another forum. Thanks a lot for the input. its a real easy swap the only thing I need to do is bend some brake lines and drill some new holes for the mounting points.

j-tan

Established Member

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Make sure that you make yourself some steel plates to run the bolts through inside the trunk floor. If you don't do this then you will cave in the trunk floor. BTW your stock driveshaft will work just fine and you will need to either install 99-04 tailpipe hangers (under bumper) or modify your stock ones to fit the IRS exhaust.

j-tan

Established Member
the steel plate is a good idea. i work in a machine shop so ill make some nice ones. thanks

BraMas

Established Member
Something you will need to verify is the pinion flange on the 99 IRS going to bolt up to your driveshaft? I know the 03/04 Cobra flange is different not sure about the 99
The plate for the trunk doesn't need to be fancy just something flat and able to distribute the force when the bolts are torqued down. When I did mine I didn't make them big enough and ended up pulling the plate a little into the frame rail.
Pull the fuel tank when you are drilling the holes for the bracket it is next to impossible to get the passenger side with the tank in

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
^^^forgot about the tank...yes remove the tank to drill the holes on the passenger side, you'll be glad you did. I'd change the fuel filter at this point too, it gets kind of crowded after the IRS swap.

As for the pinion flange, the 99-01 IRS's use the same flange as the solid axle cars so he'll be fine with the original one. Only the 03-04 pinion flange is different.

Users who are viewing this thread