questions about intake? help badly needed!!!

tutton7337

Established Member
i have a 2000 mustang gt with the 01 and up intake with aluminum crossovers. it was recently leaking around the back right bolt on the driver side. i took the intake off, replaced the gaskets, put it back on and it was still leaking. i took it to the shop to let them fix it. they just bought a new intake with the aluminum crossovers and put it on, but they said the new intake had built in gaskets and didnt need more intake gaskets. i have never heard of this. went to pick up the car up today and its still leaking, but now the passenger side front. idk what to do. any suggestions? ever heard of a built-in gasket in the intake? all help is greatly appreciated!!!

tutton7337

Established Member
its the intake from advanced auto. dorman brand. it does have made in gaskets. anybody running this intake and had any problems or advice?

fordmann281

Established Member
I got one for my 98 cause the factory one was cracked around where the thermostat housing bolts down. Got mine from autozone it was a NPI intake and had built in gaskets I have not had one problem out of mine and it's been on for a little over a year. I just recently purchased a FordRacing PI intake of AmericanMuscle for my build when I get back from my deployment. As far as you having problems with it sealing was the head surface cleaned very well where the intake sits? The bolts getting tourqued at right spec and sequence? Is any of the threads on the bolts stripped? If all of these things have been done then it sounds like the intake is more than likely not the problem. Are you sure it is leaking from the intake?

Last edited:

tutton7337

Established Member
it was cleaned, torqued right. but i didnt know there was a sequence to putting on the bolts? but yes its coming from where the intake gasket sits. its in the shop now getting a test to see if the heads are warped. hope theyre not

tutton7337

Established Member
well we found the solution. turns out my car has a non pi motor it it, so it has to have an intake from a 98 on it. all is good now, no leaks.

fordmann281

Established Member
No not at all you can put a PI intake on a NPI motor MHS has a write up on it AM has a writeup on it. Putting a PI intake on a NPI motor will give you some good gains actually doin a whole PI swap heads, cams, intake will give you some really good gains. Let me ask you this....why the hell do you have a NPI motor in a 2000 GT that should have a PI motor???

tutton7337

Established Member
thats my question too man. the previous owner said the old one blew up b/c it was supercharged so he put this motor in there. up at the shop they put the intake back on, tightened everything back down, and we start it up and there is a huge knocking sound. really loud. today they pulled the intake off, looked in the heads and didnt see anything, looked on top of the pistons, no dents or anything in there, all using the camera tube thing. they ran sea foam through it twice and the ticking is not near as loud but you can still hear it. they say its probably carbon??? idk. any suggestions, anybody ever had a problem like this?

Users who are viewing this thread