Questions about a DCC electric fan controller for Mark VIII fan

nikkodnp

Established Member
Hey SVTP,

I've gotten around to picking up a 1997 mark viii electric fan recently and now i'm in the market for a new fan controller

I've narrowed it down to the FK45 from DCControl but still have a few questions that the owner still hasnt gotten back to me with.

I was hoping someone on SVTP can give me their input if they've had experience with this controller.

1. Since its a variable output fan controller, will the 75 amp alternator be able to keep up until i upgrade to a 135 amp
2. Does this fan controller allow the fan to spin even when the engine is off

Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading!

http://dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm

jfsram

Established Member
The 75 amps is going to be determined by the load. In your case a 97 Mark 8 fan. Your 89 Mustang will support the fan by itself, it is less than 75 Amps but it's all the other accessories on at the same time that will be a heavy load on your alternator.

I have a similar set up with 2 smaller fans from a Ford Contour. My alternator can support the fans alone but often it's accompanied by my interior fan blowing against closed windows, the air conditioning clutch engaged and maybe some lights if it's nighttime. I also have underdrive pullies and I like to drive in high gear. We can have a scenario that is under 12 volts for some period of time but the fact is most of the drive is over 13 volts.

While some people will panic, I've been driving 60's musclecars and will be the first to say. There is nothing wrong with driving with less than 14 volts. I may upgrade someday but this has never caused a hint of problems for me.

As for running with the key off. Just connect the ignition on wire to constant hot but many modern controllers will allow the fans to run for a few seconds after the ignition is cut even if the ignition on wire is connected properly. The fact is a fan blowing for more than a minute on a radiator that is not flowing water is just a waste of electricity.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Dcc is a good product but he is a one man operation. There are tons of issues with his customer service in the area of communication so if that's an area your big on just be forewarned.

nikkodnp

Established Member
Just got word that the FK45 is able to cool the temps down 3 degrees less than what the set temp is,
and that the controller is going to come later this week -- and after i've ordered it around the beginning of July i'm ready to wire it up.

Brian is now 3 out of 4 on picking up calls, so his operation is running better!

Now i just need to figure where i'm mounting the controller and how to hold the fan in place

*the controller is calibrated at 180 for a 180* thermostat, i have a 195* thermostat so i'll adjust it to that

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
I don't know why the DCC fan controller has no 195 calibration.

You need the fan controller to turn back off and above your thermostat temperature.

This is VERY important. You don't it adjusted to where the fan is running and your thermostat is closed.

nikkodnp

Established Member
Just had the controller and fan in my car for a good few months now

So far it's working great in terms of cooling my fox. I have a 195* thermostat and set the controller to turn on at around that temperature. According to the dash guage (however accurate its is) it usually goes up to the 2 1/2 mark then goes down fast once the fan turns on.

The DCControl FK45 ranges its power output from 0 - 100 so that it always does its best to maintain the set level of temperature. You can adjust the on/off temp via an integrated resistor on the DCControl FK45. Although it causes the fan to turn on high sometimes. Probably due to the thermostat opening and closing once it reaches its 195* temperature.

At this point my only concern is that when i turn off my car, the Mark VIII fan makes noise at probably the 0 - 30% power. Like the sound of a helicopter firing up. This is kind of strange when you park next to buddies and it turns on about 3 or 4 times before staying off when after a good drive. Not sure if that's the reason i found my battery dead after about a week of not driving it. Maybe the controller is sucking parasitic power.

In figuring out ways to combat this, i'm thinking of having the fan turn on at around 200*, but im concerned about too much heat for the 27 year old beast.
Another option is putting a 180* thermostat in and leaving the temp where it is, i'm just worried about not getting to operating temp on shorter drives.

Users who are viewing this thread