Questioning my path in life... (college related)

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
I am beginning to wonder if the path I am taking will actually make me happy in life. I honestly do not know if 20 years from now I'm going to be happy what I am doing, regardless of how much I make.

Right now I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am half way through my sophmore year, and I don't know if this is the way I want to go. I end up with headaches all the time from all the math and science work I have to do. I just don't know if that is what I want with my life.

What do you guys think? Am I making a mistake?

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
I was in your boat too...end of my second semester of my sophmore year at Iowa State for Logistics and Operations Management, which as a double major average starting salary was about 125k. I was so unhappy with the stress and the classes, but now I am happier than ever being a mechanic and hope to finish my diesel courses soon.

You aren't making a mistake by being in school, but try a different major possibly. If you are in school, its not a mistake, if you drop out and never continue again, that is a HUGE mistake.

Money doesn't buy happiness, you gotta remember that.

Last edited:

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
It will be hard for "THE MAN" to outsource that work to another country so no, and it pays good and you will be smart, all good things.

Coiled03

Established Member
Welcome to college - everyone questions whether or not their major is right for them at some time or another, especially engineering majors. Believe me, I majored in M.E., too, and went through a similar period.

Speaking as a fellow engineering major, keep in mind that your first two years are very heavy on technically oriented classes. Your last two years will be much more enjoyable....at least, they were for me.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I majored in electrical engineer and also questioned my choice when stress piled up, remember why you chose the major in the first place. I chose mine because I couldn't see myself doing much anything else, I graduated, have a decent job and don't do much math or science at work. I say tough it out, you will not regret it.

stangin99

Established Member
I graduated as a computer engineer and I too questioned whether or not that is what I wanted to do.

I consider cars to be my hobby, and if I worked on cars for a living I would never want to come home and work on my own car. This led me away from an automotive degree. I now work as a software engineer and after sitting on a computer all day I can't stand to even look at my home pc. TV is even tough although I don't have to think in order to watch that.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I think most college students at some point question their path. You need to sit back, take a breath, and remember why you are in this major in the first place. Additionally, no one says you have to be an engineer for the rest of your life. It is just a degree. You can change jobs, get another degree, or take your life in any direction you choose, the piece of paper wont dictate that.

youngster

Established Member
Im a senior in high school at so far 4-4 in getting into colleges, 4 more to hear from, yea i no 8 is a lot but in my school that isnt that much. Anyway my intended major was mechanical engineering but the more i research it the more i find that it is one of the hardest majors and the careers get decent living but not out of this world. If i were to switch i would switch to political science( I love politics) and my dad is a lawyer or finance because that seems where the big bucks are. So im in a different situation im not in college yet should i change my path or stick to the one i already have?

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
You know what, I went through the exact same thing. I was in ME for about 3 semesters, decided it was too hard, and quit school altogether. Now, a year and a half later I have decided to go back for, you guessed it, Mechanical Engineering. Just stick it out, its only 4 years and it will pay off in the end. You will be glad you pushed through it.

boosted306

Established Member
I am in the same boat also. I am not sure what degree path I will be taking. I'm 23 and have changed once. I know that I want to be in finance somewhere. My goal is a successful career in financial investing. What degree is going to give me the best knowledge for this. I want something that will give me a jump at a few choices if I change my mind on investments. MBA?

Good luck to you on your decision but I am not going to be much help.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
sorry but this isnt something you get on the net and ask someone about, that is totally up to you and if your not happy, then look for other things you can go for

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
People who are looking at college majors and seeing big bucks are often upset when they find out that the majority of people dont make the big bucks. Only 7% of the U.S. population makes over $100K/yr. Invariably these people would make big money regardless of their degrees because of their intellect, drive and abilities. So, it is more important to choose a field of study that interests you and will make you happy.

I found this question useful; what job would you do for 40 hours a week and not get paid? The answer to that question, within reason and within your abilities, is the career path to look at.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Im a senior in high school at so far 4-4 in getting into colleges, 4 more to hear from, yea i no 8 is a lot but in my school that isnt that much. Anyway my intended major was mechanical engineering but the more i research it the more i find that it is one of the hardest majors and the careers get decent living but not out of this world. If i were to switch i would switch to political science( I love politics) and my dad is a lawyer or finance because that seems where the big bucks are. So im in a different situation im not in college yet should i change my path or stick to the one i already have?

If you are unsure of what to do, you might hate engineering. Go for the money. I was thinking of going to law school and becoming a patent attorney because the money is really good and it's required to have a technical undergrad but I don't want to live at home till I am 28.

Adower

Established Member
I got my degree in finance. I found out quickly that I did not want to do this for my whole life. It was like three weeks into my first finance job. Now im trying to get into corrections.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
I got my degree in finance. I found out quickly that I did not want to do this for my whole life. It was like three weeks into my first finance job. Now im trying to get into corrections.

LOL, it's always greener on the other side. I haven't seen one reply that says I majored in x and now work in the x industry while making a decent living and loving my job.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
sorry but this isnt something you get on the net and ask someone about, that is totally up to you and if your not happy, then look for other things you can go for

+1 this guy is right. Im an ME and to be honest with you, its not all rose bushes here. You have to absolutely love the field to do this for any extended period of time. And this goes for any specific major. Although its a broad field, your going to be thinking a lot. And to become successful, you need to think and work your azz off. So study what you like. Life isn't like college. Your job willbe a huge part of life so make a call now instead of puttin it off any longer.

Adower

Established Member
LOL, it's always greener on the other side. I haven't seen one reply that says I majored in x and now work in the x industry while making a decent living and loving my job.

Yah definitely. On the upside, corrections officers get paid pretty well, at least in california. When you max out the annual salary is 70k. Then you add in overtime and it has to be close to 100k.

Users who are viewing this thread