Question: Traffic calming device?????

Elliotness

Established Member
I have a question. I was watching the boob tube and heard that the city was purchasing traffic calming devices??? What is a traffic calming device. Apparently, the equipment costs $2,500.00

Any ideas???? :shrug:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
It's not a tough question, however it has many definitions. A quick search on Google would gain you much more information than asking a bunch of cops.

Here we call them speed bumps.......

Monte

Established Member
There is some "traffic calming" a street over from my house. All it consist of is a S in the road with a small curb in the middle..fairly hard to explain.. It is kind of stupid.. I drive a crewcab short bed and CANNOT go through it without hitting the center curb.. but if I straddle (sp) it I ca go about 30 :shrug:

Elliotness

Established Member
mswaim said:
Here we call them speed bumps.......

That's all I needed to know.

I'm well aware of the capabilities of google. Thank you very Much.

I just had no concept on what it was and thought that some helpful officer would offer a quick explanation.

Thank You

BTW ----- A friggen speed bump cost $2500..... :dw: Sheesh!!!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Elliotness said:
That's all I needed to know.

I'm well aware of the capabilities of google. Thank you very Much.

I just had no concept on what it was and thought that some helpful officer would offer a quick explanation.

Thank You

BTW ----- A friggen speed bump cost $2500..... :dw: Sheesh!!!

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.........and there are more than a dozen forms of traffic calming devices, many of them very expensive to construct so depending on the type of device, that price could be right on target.

Besides, I thought YOU were an officer....lol

Elliotness

Established Member
mswaim said:
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.........and there are more than a dozen forms of traffic calming devices, many of them very expensive to construct so depending on the type of device, that price could be right on target.

Besides, I thought YOU were an officer....lol

I am... ;-)

Didn't mean to come of as and A-hole... You have pm..

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Elliotness said:
I am... ;-)

Didn't mean to come of as and A-hole... You have pm..

I was just poking fun, no problem here.

Actually, not many line officers are exposed to such a "buzz word". Management folks, engineers, even city staffers might hear speed bumps, traffic circles, etc refered to as "traffic calming devices", but most coppers just call them speed bumps......as we cuss the crap out of them just like every citizen who has to negotiate them.

Lawman85

Banned
Maybe they are painting the road pink (you know black is such an angry color), and erecting large speakers on the side of the road to play classical music.

Elliotness

Established Member
They say they have problems with speeders here. :shrug: I really think the problem they have is with street racing. In the last year I believe there has been 3 or fatalities due to unauthorized racing. Kids racing through red lights etc.

There is no substitute for good judgement.

Don't know why it happens. If you are really serious about racing they have an informal strip out of town... You just walk over pick who you want to race and let-her rip.... No timing lights just a light at the end of the track/road that lets the spectators know who won the race.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread