Question to those with a KB/Whipple

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
So I've been throwing around the idea of installing the 2.3L KB i have sitting in the garage, but I have a couple questions/concerns.

I plan on running my 6# lower with a 3.5" upper, that should net me around 14-15# of boost i think. All i really need to complete the puzzel are the twin 255's and a tune of course.

My question for those that currently run an aftermarket blower on a stock block is, how many of you still tow with it and will my mileage drop significantly after installing 255's and 60lb injectors? Or is it still all in the tune? I am currently seeing 14mpg with mixed hi-way and city driving.

Thanks!

uncooked

Established Member
I put a 2.3 whipple on my truck with the 3.375 upper / 4lb lower. It hit 17 lbs of boost at 4200 rpm.

I got worried about the rods and decided to try a 2lb lower. It made 17.2 lbs at the top of the pull.

That was with oem manifolds / full exhaust. It now has a COMP R setup and seems to be at around 15lbs.

My truck runs better in every single aspect with the whipple now vs before with the eaton. It may be harder on gas slightly, but its smoother in every way!

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Once you go twin screw........

I started with a brand new bone stock truck, progressed to bolt ons, then a built motor/ P.E. combo, then added a stall converter, then a MP, and finally a 2.6 KB. I lost mileage with every step until I put on the KB. My mileage is now almost back to stock levels in spite of a 2400 stall.

Some of that is the fact that my tune is better than ever, but that is only part of it. When you hear that a twin screw is more efficient than the Eaton, that means more power with less drag. I'd bet that if I had a stock stall I'd get better than stock mileage with way over 500 RWHP (made 524/534 with 2# less boost & 2* less timing than I'm running now).

Put that KB on and your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner.

Last edited:

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Thanks for the input fellas. How many of you guys still tow though? I tow a 5000lb RV once a year and this is my biggest concern.
Thanks!

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I haven't towed since installing the KB yet (installed in May) but towed with the MP & P.E. and I won't hesitate to tow with the KB either.

Users who are viewing this thread