Question(s) regarding a Novi 1000 RR

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
( I also posted this in the Blower Bistro, but I don't know how many people go in there so I felt this would be a good place to post this as well).

I have a few questions about my car regarding the S.C. (Novi 1000 RR), especially since I'm needing to get it tuned within the next month or two. I'm new to all of this so please bare with me (Even though I have been lurking for awhile).

I bought the car used at a local Ford Dealership with 39,700 miles on it. The story over the car is in the SN95 Forums under the Car Pictures thread.

The car had a new engine installed not too long ago (29,000 or so miles back in 2001). I believe it still has mostly stock everything, according to the man's father who previously owned it.

The car is running rich right now. You can tell on start up- blows black smoke- and when you kill the car you can smell unburnt gas. This leads me to believe they just used the chip that came with the S.C. from Paxton. Is this fine to run on for now, or will it hurt the car in anyway?

First off, I'm going to Dallas Mustang to get it tuned (closest place to me). I haven't called them yet, but plan to. What all is needed when going to get a car tuned, besides money and the car that is getting tuned? Will they re-chip the car (How much does this cost?), and if so, do you have to provide the chip or do they have them?

Does a Paxton Novi 1000 RR require a bigger MAF, Injectors, different Spark Plugs, faster flowing fuel pump, etc. than what comes stock on a 1998 Cobra? If so, what does it need?

My next question is how much does it usually cost to get a car tuned and how long does it generally take ( I know it depends on the person and place, usually).

How much boost do you think would be safe to run on a stock engine '98 Cobra? 8 lbs. with a safe tune? I plan on building the bottom end and rear end later on once I get more money to add more boost, but that will be awhile.

That's all the questions I can think of so far. If there is anything else I need to know, please reply.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for making this so long. :poke:

EDIT: Just noticed something while looking under the hood. There are little pools of oil in certain parts of the block.

The top two circles have the same thing on the other side of the block on the same two, the middle two.
IMG_1249.gif

The top of the MAF ( I think that is this piece) has a little pool of oil in it.
IMG_1251.gif

Is this normal or should I be worried? And I run 5W-30 Castrol Full Synthetic Out Perform. Just changed 300 or so miles ago along with a new K&N Oil Filter.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Stay out of boost untill you can make sure the tune is good & will not hurt the motor.
Do you have a FMU? For supercharged application you need a larger fuel pump. You shouldn't need anything to bring to the dyno, they should do it all, that's what you are paying them for. For boosted applications it is best to use 1 range colder plugs gapped around .033-.035". A larger maf is not required, but will need one if you change injectors. With stock compression 8lbs of boost is safe, could go to 10, but in my opinion that is pushing it with stock motor. Cost for a dyno tune will vary by company & can be from $150 for only adjusting timing, fuel pressure on FMU & just basicly checking to make sure the air fuel ratio is good to $500 for a chip. It will depend on what chip is in the car & what chip maker the tuner uses to see if they can use the chip in the car. Call them & ask, it's free & they can give you some good info. Might call Novi to see what chip they send with the sc kits.
No idea on the oil.

blk96SVT

Established Member
The bottom pic is your throttle body. Pull your spark plugs and check what they look like. I know it looks like oil on the TB, but does it smell like it also? I don't know how you can have oil on top of your throttle body like that. Truthfully, like stated above, I wouldn't drive the car until you get it dyno-tuned fast.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i would discuss all this with the guys at dallas mustang. They will be able to better help you

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
Alright. Thanks for the information.

94CobraPace: Thanks for answering most of my questions. You have been of great help. I plan on calling Dallas Mustang this weekend to check on a few things.

blk96SVT: I believe it is oil. It looks/feels like it and looks like the same stuff thats in the first picture.. I didn't taste it so I'm not exactly sure, but I have no clue what else it could be. :shrug:

The car does idle rough sometimes on start up. Revs up and then drops, almost dying. Sometimes does die, or revs back up and idles down real low and dies.

Thanks again for all the help, guys. I hope to get this all straightened out soon. Just don't have much time right now.

EDIT: Looked at those spots again and my dad and I think it might be grease from something/somewhere. Like when they tried to fit something on or put something in. I cleaned up the pool on the top of the TB and plan on checking it this weekend to see if it does it again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread