Question(s) about a reckless driving.

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Ok, assume Tom was going down a backroad in a small neighborhood. The speed limit is 25 and he's doing about 30-35. As he's driving down the road, a dog from a neighbors runs out into the road, grabbing the driver's attention. Another lawn down there's turn with a dip in it. Tom presses on his brakes fairly hard, but not hard enough and tries to turn. The dip cause his front tires to go in the air at 25ish miles an hour. He doesn't turn far enough fast enough and his right front tire runs into and pops/minorly bends the rim against a curb. A neighbor calls a policeman. When the policeman gets there, the neighbor tells him their side of the story, but fails to mention the dog, and lies and says that she'd seen Tom buzzing around that same road a month ago, when Tom didn't have his license a month ago. The policeman doesn't even bother trying to hear Tom's story, and issues him a reckless driving ticket and said he was going FIFTY-FIVE when Tom's car likely can't even reach 55 on the small stretch of road this happened on.

Secondly, on the ticket, he didn't write the model, or year of Tom's car.

Also, there's no date/time on the ticket either.

Question being, can Tom do anything legally to (a. reduce points/fine, and (b. try to bring up the dog/neighbors lie?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Get yourself a lawyer, err I mean "Tom" should get himself a lawyer. The missing info on the ticket can be amended as long as the driver is identifiable. Since reckless is not speeding, the speed noted is not really an issue. The witness is a complaintant and will appear to bolster the testimony of the officer.

Good luck to you, err I mean "Tom."

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
FordSVTFan said:
Get yourself a lawyer, err I mean "Tom" should get himself a lawyer. The missing info on the ticket can be amended as long as the driver is identifiable. Since reckless is not speeding, the speed noted is not really an issue. The witness is a complaintant and will appear to bolster the testimony of the officer.

Good luck to you, err I mean "Tom."

Is said witness REQUIRED to appear? Also, how much would one be looking at for a lawyer?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
The witness is not required to appear. I would have written an unsafe speed citation. You should always drive defensive and be prepared for anything. Good luck Tom or who ever.

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Iceman II said:
The witness is not required to appear. I would have written an unsafe speed citation. You should always drive defensive and be prepared for anything. Good luck Tom or who ever.

How would you go about calculating the approximate speed Tom was traveling at? "Tom" says thanks for the luck, and he says you have a fine choice of a username.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Speed calculations can be performed several different ways. By evidence on the roadway (skid marks). Unsafe speed is, lets say for example the roadway has a 30 mph speed limit. You are driving at the speed limit or maybe 5 over the limit, but have an accident because of a winding road, wet pavement, fog, hard rain, dips in roadway OR when the conditions were unsafe. It does not mean speeding OVER the posted speed limit.

Users who are viewing this thread