Question regarding MM clutch cable kit

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
I bought the maximum motorsports clutch cable kit to replace the UPR setup i have. I talked to the local performance shop and they said the cable was no good (recommended getting oem cable).

I've however heard some people state that the cable is exactly the same as OEM except for a different sleeve. In fact it's supposedly from the same manufacturer. Can anyone confirm this?

32icon321

Established Member
Did the shop elaborate on what “no good” means? It’s a clutch cable there’s not a lot that can go wrong here.
MM makes the best cable available IMO, I run them on both my foxbody coupe and new edge.
They are a bit longer than stock IIRC.
Do you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
He didn't really elaborate, just stated that all the cables other than OEM were pretty much garbage.

I have a 3-hook upr quadrant and firewall adjuster. I'm need to replace the adjuster as well since it locks in place with a set screw, which is really difficult to tighten depending on where that screw is lined up. Is your MM adjuster designed that same way?

I haven't opened the MM box to see how their adjuster is designed to lock in place. I'm not sure if that would negate my ability to return it, since i was debating on installing the oem cable with a different firewall adjuster instead.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
MM cable is the right way to go. Your shop sounds like they may not know exactly what they're talking about. Yes, OEM is the best, but MM is right there with it.

I just replaced an MM cable that was installed back in 09, with another MM cable. Never had one issue with it other than it being stretched out from mis-adjustment.

I don't have any experience with the MM adjuster. I bought a FRPP one from American Muscle. Its a nice piece, way better than the Fiore one I replaced, (what ever happened to that company). Micro adjustments with the little ball bearing to keep it from moving.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
The shop/ mechanic are very reputable, so I'm thinking he's just picky about what he likes with certain cars. They specialize in mustangs, and people bring their cars from all over the state to get modded by this guy.

Sounds like the MM cable is quality though. I'll open the box when i get home to see how the adjuster locks. The FRPP adjuster sounds like what I'm looking for though

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Most likely they're picky like you said. I've run into shops that are like that too. They all have their own personal preference and recommend that to their customers. Then you get people like us, that research and are informed, to contradict what they recommend.

32icon321

Established Member
This is pulled from MMs website and is the only reason I can find that the cable would not work:
  • Will not fit with a quadrant that requires an aftermarket adjustable cable.
But assuming you were running an OEM cable on that quadrant it shouldnt be an issue. The only differences are the plastic piece of the cable where it enters the firewall and the overall length. Neither of which should cause a problem if you have a quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Dont have a MM adjuster I dont think, just pulled what I had laying around the garage. Although FRPP was my first choice, AM was out of stock when I was ready to purchase.

If at all possible try to do it yourself. Very simple install if you already have the quadrant done. MM has great instructions as well.

I cant remember what issues there are, if any, of running a OEM cable with an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant. I think there were some but cant remember off the top of my head. Im sure someone will chime in.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Most likely they're picky like you said. I've run into shops that are like that too. They all have their own personal preference and recommend that to their customers. Then you get people like us, that research and are informed, to contradict what they recommend.

That's why i love this forum. Better to get answers from people who actually drive the cars after they leave the performance shop.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
This is pulled from MMs website and is the only reason I can find that the cable would not work:
  • Will not fit with a quadrant that requires an aftermarket adjustable cable.
But assuming you were running an OEM cable on that quadrant it shouldnt be an issue. The only differences are the plastic piece of the cable where it enters the firewall and the overall length. Neither of which should cause a problem if you have a quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Dont have a MM adjuster I dont think, just pulled what I had laying around the garage. Although FRPP was my first choice, AM was out of stock when I was ready to purchase.

If at all possible try to do it yourself. Very simple install if you already have the quadrant done. MM has great instructions as well.

I cant remember what issues there are, if any, of running a OEM cable with an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant. I think there were some but cant remember off the top of my head. Im sure someone will chime in.

Makes sense. I think I'm going to have the MM cable and quadrant installed for sure, and possibly the adjuster if it has a good locking mechanism. I don't like the UPR quadrant, since its somewhat "tall" which causes the middle hook to rub the plastic vanity cover above the pedals. This also causes the cable to nearly touch the top of the feedthrough going through the firewall. I'd rather the cable feed right down the middle.

I would do it myself but this shop is doing my SFC's so i might as well have them throw the cable kit on while they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread