Question regarding hand painting versus powder coating??

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I am about to order an Billetflow IRS brace. Ken and DOug told me that the ones they have in stock are hand painted an not powder coated. THey said that it would be a few weeks before they can get a welding amchine fixed and get enoguh units to be able to sen to be powder coated. What are the benefits of powder coating instead o hand paint? Does it last longer? Does it resist rusting better?

My car has a slight crack in the rear differential. The dealer has order another cover and it arrived in stock. They said that theu would put the IRS brace fdor me while they were replacing the rear diff cover. What would you all do? Order a unit that is hand painted and have the dealer install it or wait to get a poweder coated one and istall it later after the dealer replaces the cracked rear diff. cover? I need opinions please. It would be easier to have the dealer install one while they replace the cracked cover, but the IRS brace would not be powder coated:shrug:

mj8

Established Member
From what I know which is not a whole lot, powder coating is a little more durable than just regular paint. Powder coating is actually put under heat to help with the curing process. (I think)

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I dont think MJ would put out a sub-standard product. Their gear is top notch. I say go for it and save the install charge later. From what I gather it is a tricky install with a few of the torque values on some of the bolts (hard to access).

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Is it worth to wait a couple of weeks for the powder coated unit or just get the hand painted one now before my car goes in to the dealer to ge the rear diff. cover replaced?

FKing1

Established Member
Have a number of parts powder coated on my 55 truck resto including the frame. It will never rust and is extremely durable as well as looking good. The parts are usually blasted before coating.
Fred K.

Users who are viewing this thread