question re: borla XR-1 install

98ssssvt

Established Member
Well I decided to go with the Borla exhaust and the XR-1 mufflers, but there is a problem since they only fit the 96 & 97 Cobras ( according to their applications). I have a 98 and when I called Borla their Sales Reps. didn't really give me the answer I was looking for - as far why it isn't compatible with the 98 - they kept repeating that "only the Rebel 500 exhaust will fit your year" (whats the diff.) I think if I want to spend $700 on their exhaust I deserve a better answer than that- what do you think. Well my question is if there is anyone running this setup on 98 Cobra and if yes, did it fit right in or did alterations had to be made. I know that the Cobras received different style exhaust hangers ( the parallel ones) from mid 98 and on - mine are the perpendicular ones. I really dont think there were
exhaust changes done throughout those years - but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:??:

White98SVT

Established Member
Well I know a guy that ran them on his 01GT even when they told him they wouldn't fit. The exhaust shop just did some minor fabrication.

I also know a guy that ran them on his Cobra, but he bought the Catback....can't remember if his was a 97 or 98 though.

I'm sure if you take them to a reputable exhaust shop, they can make them work.

93CobraPwr

SVT Veteran
Established Member
I have used the 98 catbacks on my 96 , i had to change the hangers and extend the tailpipes connections to the mufflers by an inch. They will definatley work ... lol :)

You would think they would tell you they work to sell them!:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread